Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high transfer handcycles

Blog Entries

high transfer handcycles

Okay, I know this is probably buried in here some where but... are the Freedom ryder and the Varna the only models that are high enough to easily transfer into?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Okay, I know this is probably buried in here some where but... are the Freedom ryder and the Varna the only models that are high enough to easily transfer into?
    the top end excelerator and quickie mach 2 are about the same level as a wheelchair, the freedom ryder is lower, but not as low as most.

Depending on what kind of cycling is to be done attachments are an option and there is no transferring. They no longer make the Mach 2 but you can find them used..

Do you want to sit up high like chair heigth or recline lower down. Upright chairs that are godd, Top End, and Quickie. I'd look at T/E first. THey have different versions from 7 speed all the way to 27speed. You could get a good deal on Ebay or Craigslist; Bike-on.com. Lots of used ones also.

Recline The FRH-1, Top End FOrce Series.

What's your level of injury, do you wany to cruise on city streets, go fast, gravel.

What every cycle you pick, it'll be t he best thing you've done for yourself in a long time.

im selling a topend 7 speed that is a level transfer from the wheelchair
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Blog Entries
    Right. I was thinking of more of a real handcyle, not an attachment. I had looked at one last year (Shark, but my husband and I decided that unless I can transfer independently, I wouldn't really ride it). So, the Freedom Ryder looks great, but being a T6 I have no trunk control so no help in the "leaning steer" area. The Varna looks nice, but don't know how high it really is.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Right. I was thinking of more of a real handcyle, not an attachment. I had looked at one last year (Shark, but my husband and I decided that unless I can transfer independently, I wouldn't really ride it). So, the Freedom Ryder looks great, but being a T6 I have no trunk control so no help in the "leaning steer" area. The Varna looks nice, but don't know how high it really is.
    freedom ryder frh is NOT a lean to steer, just the lc is

The Varna Liberator is about 18" high. The Exelerator about 20" includes 2" foam cushion. If you use Exelerator in an area w any hills get the mountain drive gearing. This is 7 speed w mountain gear transmission, all 7 mountain gears are easier than the 1st regular gear.

Old Top End Gold pre 2005 is higher, FRH-1 and Varna. Being that you are in Georgia, I'd look at the Frh-1, Intrepid, or an older Gold, perhaps Top End Pro. Pro being a very old design.

There are a lot of good used h/c out there. I know Geoff from San Diego has one for a good price.

Well I do not feel like I am not in a real handcycle when using my attachment(but I think I understand what you mean). I have a Quickie Mach 2, the attachment and A freedom Ryder LC-1 Right now I am using the attachment almost exclusively because it is so quick to put on and off has more gears than my Mach 2. Plan on working out on the LC-1 three mornings a week while my wife is at the gym see how far how fast I can go while she is doing her work out then come back home and let her bring my chair out to me and take my LC-1 back in the house. Where we are living now it is just not practical for me to get on the LC-1 and get it in and out of the house by myself, it might be doable but not practical. I am sure that I will still use the attachment almost every day but more of a recreational/utility nature. If you have plenty of space and logistics are not a problem then and attachment may not even be a consideration. I may be the only person on here that would even suggest one I know first hand the pros and cons of an attachment and knowing as little as I do about your situation I would not say you would be better off with one or the other. I will tell you I got my attachment back in 1993 and even having the other cycles I use it the most. If I were going to do a long range ride with other people I would most likely use the LC-1. I do not know if all that helps any or just muddies up the water. If I had to chose just one, it would be the attachment hands down. The one that I own is no longer made it has 24 gears and a two speed hub so it is really like 48. All these years later I only use about 12 of those but it was nice starting out having all those gears. If I had to replace the attachment now and could not find a used Shadow cycleone I would get the Arm bike attachment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAnrQ...nR83ew&index=3 There are lots of things to consider but Like PM said it is the best thing you can do for yourself IMO. If ya'll are ever up this way I would be glad to let you ride anything I have.