Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: shed a little light , L1 fracture

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    shed a little light , L1 fracture

    Hi, 11 months ago (7th june 2010) I was involved in a minor RTA while riding my motorcycle one sunny morning , when a car driver emerged right across my path leaving me with all i know of is a L1 fracture and thats all i know (along with a few other things)....

    Now all they told me at hospital was i had fractured my L1 lumbar vertabrea and released later that day , the next 3 weeks where to painfull to even sit up in bed never mind getting up and walking about . after 6 weeks i went back to work as suggested by the doctor with plenty nice pain killers and just took it easy at first (bearing in mind my Gp had no record through from hospital) and these took a shocking 4-5 months.

    few weeks into work the boss goes on holiday for 2 weeks , during these 2 weeks my pains started getting worse and have continued to over time more often and more painfull and more areas , first thing i noticed starting was bad shoulders as i was working in a garage at the time and the cars where always on ramps above your head i noticed instant pain after maybe 30 seconds of having my arms above my head i later had to drop out of the garage as i got worse , then pains started comming on at night when resting and sleeping and more often when i'm tired and relaxed then the shooting pains started across the shoulders eventually comming on in ways that i often now get shooting pains from the base of my head down my spine , and sometimes from the bottom to the top more often when there from the bottom up as it gets to the head it turns into a pulsing headache kinda pain , i've suffered lots and lots of constipation since and thats getting to the point where it's every trip now and going can cause me pain from the lower back moving up and as it gets to the head i get headaches /dizzyness/ lightheaded / and sometimes the feeling of in-balance . the doctor is running some blood tests(dont know why) and he's saying it could be physcoligical.. I've told the doctor about all of above of course but they just keep recommending pain killers and physio therapy(even though I had to ask for that)

    anyone got any ideas what i should be saying to these fools to set the record straight , or any further questions please feel free ..

  2. #2
    Also last week I'd been a little more active than usual for the previous 2 days and i nipped to the loo and tackled the stairs at a faster pace than usual (stairs kill me) even though i'm 20 years young anyways by the time i got to the top landing i had to stop and got a sudden sharp pain in my very low back near the buttox felt like a junkie swipped me with a sharp needle right in the coxsyc and i've never had a pain like that before , also not really had a appertite since the accident and more noticebly in the last couple months, i've had loads of trouble with my joints clicking soughta say , knees , neck , shoulder and lately my backs started doing it when i've been sitting or standing for long periods and i move too quickly but my back clicks maybe 3 times at any 1 given time , the doc says it's normal as you get "OLDER" i'm still only 20 unless 20 years flew by without me noticing (feels like it some days mind)

    when i walk long distances (25-50 meters sometimes more sometimes less) my back aches as do my hips/legs/knees they feel like they've froze and are pysically grinding some days , some days its worse than others and vice versa the pain killers still dont cut it 95% of the time they only take the edge off . I'm sick of feeling like this and just want some light shed on maybe whats causing it or what kind words i should maybe say next time ..

  3. #3
    The symptoms in your legs could be attributed to your back injury. The things higher up -no unless from overuse of arms. etc..
    Are you seeing a SCI rehab specialists? Rehab specialists?
    CWO

  4. #4
    Well as of yet I have not seen any specialist , the doc keeps recomending physio-therapy and more pain killers

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniNutter View Post
    Hi, 11 months ago (7th june 2010) I was involved in a minor RTA while riding my motorcycle one sunny morning , when a car driver emerged right across my path leaving me with all i know of is a L1 fracture and thats all i know (along with a few other things)....

    Now all they told me at hospital was i had fractured my L1 lumbar vertabrea and released later that day , the next 3 weeks where to painfull to even sit up in bed never mind getting up and walking about . after 6 weeks i went back to work as suggested by the doctor with plenty nice pain killers and just took it easy at first (bearing in mind my Gp had no record through from hospital) and these took a shocking 4-5 months.

    few weeks into work the boss goes on holiday for 2 weeks , during these 2 weeks my pains started getting worse and have continued to over time more often and more painfull and more areas , first thing i noticed starting was bad shoulders as i was working in a garage at the time and the cars where always on ramps above your head i noticed instant pain after maybe 30 seconds of having my arms above my head i later had to drop out of the garage as i got worse , then pains started comming on at night when resting and sleeping and more often when i'm tired and relaxed then the shooting pains started across the shoulders eventually comming on in ways that i often now get shooting pains from the base of my head down my spine , and sometimes from the bottom to the top more often when there from the bottom up as it gets to the head it turns into a pulsing headache kinda pain , i've suffered lots and lots of constipation since and thats getting to the point where it's every trip now and going can cause me pain from the lower back moving up and as it gets to the head i get headaches /dizzyness/ lightheaded / and sometimes the feeling of in-balance . the doctor is running some blood tests(dont know why) and he's saying it could be physcoligical.. I've told the doctor about all of above of course but they just keep recommending pain killers and physio therapy(even though I had to ask for that)

    anyone got any ideas what i should be saying to these fools to set the record straight , or any further questions please feel free ..
    Mininutter,

    Based on your description, you need to have a careful neurological and radiological evaluation and not just "some blood tests". I am quite surprised that the hospital discharged you with the diagnosis of L1 fracture and no further therapy. This had to be based on the assumption that your fracture was stable. If you have not had an CT or MRI scan since, you should get them, to rule out the possibility of spinal cord compression contributing to some of your symptoms.

    The constipation is worrisome. Note that narcotic pain drugs (such as codeine) causes constipation. Are you having any problems with urination and sexual function? How about loss of sensation in the anal area? Did you ever have loss of sensation that resembles the area of skin that would touch a saddle? Such saddle-shaped loss of sensation would be consistent with damage to the conus (which is located at L1).

    The neck and shoulder pains sound like whiplash. When you get your CT/MRI scans, it should include your cervical spine.

    Wise.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Mininutter,

    Based on your description, you need to have a careful neurological and radiological evaluation and not just "some blood tests". I am quite surprised that the hospital discharged you with the diagnosis of L1 fracture and no further therapy. This had to be based on the assumption that your fracture was stable. If you have not had an CT or MRI scan since, you should get them, to rule out the possibility of spinal cord compression contributing to some of your symptoms.

    .
    So next doctors appointment really i should be asking for a referal back to hospital for a check up and some fresh scans?

    At the time they said they done 1 chest xray and 1 mri scan and that 1 confirmed a fracture and the other was too unclear see much but assured me there was no spinal compression as i "was still able to walk/stand" no mention of a cervical scan


    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

    The constipation is worrisome. Note that narcotic pain drugs (such as codeine) causes constipation. Are you having any problems with urination and sexual function? How about loss of sensation in the anal area? Did you ever have loss of sensation that resembles the area of skin that would touch a saddle? Such saddle-shaped loss of sensation would be consistent with damage to the conus (which is located at L1).
    .
    Interesting subject lol. I know about the side effects of these nasty meds but even without any I still suffer dread full constipation ,(as I went periods without painkillers as I was getting paraniod about the physcological side), (theres only pain to be treated if you treat it) as you can guess that idea failed .I could even say i dont get an urge to pass waste from that area untill its comming on its own which could be anything from 2-5 days between trips (no joke) sometimes even the full week.

    urination and sexual functions seem normal , only thing I could maybe mumble about is how often I find myself not going to urinate. like i drink a shit load of fluids but rarely get the feeling of needing the toilet and when I do its an instant thing i either need to go or dont (some could say its physcological as this morning i woke up at 2am have drank in excess of about 8 mugs of tea or more since rising (its 9am now) the mugs are easy4-500ml and not once this morning have i had an urge for a wee untill i started reading your reply 10-15 minutes ago. another thing weather its related or not is I notice later on in the nights when i stand for long periods of time and my back/hips/knees start aching i get a tingling around my groin , kinda feels like i'm wetting myself slowely but when i check i'm bone dry not even abit of sweat totally dry .. i've been like this since the accident and never had a problem before nor have i had sexual activities since never mind un-protected ones



    I guess the rear sensations are still there as the push bike seat hurts just as much as they always have


    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    The neck and shoulder pains sound like whiplash. When you get your CT/MRI scans, it should include your cervical spine.

    Wise.
    I had thought to myself thats what it was , every time i mention it to the Gp he just disregards the subject? as i was saying above hosptal done a chest xray and mri but no mention of a cervical scan? I got woke up at 2am this morning and could not sleep due to pains in my shoulders and neck so i've been up since , I usually suffer from aches and pains like this first thing in the morning but they usually die down by the time i've finished breakfast, but today there insisting on staying and the right muscle running from the shoulder is sore but only sensitive to a slightly hard prod and is not so sore as it goes abit lower to the shoulder blade and is not sore around the bone howeverr the left side is very sensitive to the slightest touch and is very sore on the bone but only on the smaller part closest to the centre ...

    I was at a medical the other day which was supposed to be through the insurance the guy had not seen my medical records but said he did not see why i was getting shoulder and neck pain as "whiplash was not possible to have in a motorbike accident" I breifly told him he didnt have a clue what he was talking about and obviously did not understand the concept of what happens to 1 rider going into the side of a vehicle ..

  7. #7
    Are you on an NSAID such as Ibuprofen 800 mg three times a day or Naproxen 500 mg twice day- taken with food?. These are nonnarcotic pain killers and decrease the inflammation and irritation of the nerves.
    Narcotics pain killers don't do that. You can take both. I would suggest you take them on a regular basis- for month or two atleast- then once things under control and pain decreses if you want you can cut down a dose a day, do this slowly for bout two to three weeks, If still okay you can continue to cut down slowly and possibly eventully you can tke when you have the pain.

    CWO

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you on an NSAID such as Ibuprofen 800 mg three times a day or Naproxen 500 mg twice day- taken with food?. These are nonnarcotic pain killers and decrease the inflammation and irritation of the nerves.
    Narcotics pain killers don't do that. You can take both. I would suggest you take them on a regular basis- for month or two atleast- then once things under control and pain decreses if you want you can cut down a dose a day, do this slowly for bout two to three weeks, If still okay you can continue to cut down slowly and possibly eventully you can tke when you have the pain.

    CWO
    pretty much from the start I always had ibuprofen 2 500mg three times a day only as of this week have I changed as the doctors now gave me naproxyn and said I could not take ibuprofen with these?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    8,152
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniNutter View Post
    kinda feels like i'm wetting myself slowely but when i check i'm bone dry not even abit of sweat totally dry .. i've been like this since the accident .
    My injury level is T12-L3 and L1 was crushed. I get this kind of sensation all the time.

    You probably have some nerve damage.

    You need to find another doctor as soon as possible.

    You could be doing more damage without even knowing it.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

    My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Similar Threads

  1. Scientists shed new light on walking
    By Eileen in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
  2. Lost documents shed light on Black Death
    By Wise Young in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 12:49 AM
  3. Can anyone shed some light for her?
    By kkmay in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 09:35 PM
  4. Firefly Glow Can Shed Light on How Well New Drugs Work
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 06:26 PM
  5. Dermatologists Shed Light on Treatments for Cellulite
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2002, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •