Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal Slide-in Tub

Universal Slide-in Tub

Does anyone own one of these?

I ask because the arthritic pain is getting to me during seasonal changes to a point where it's making it difficult. This is supposed to have jets (I have never in my life sat in one with jets as I was paralyzed at age 12). Also, it fills up close to shoulders .. enough that I think I could scrunch down and get them in the warm water. I think I've had less than 5 baths in my lifetime ... always showered. It would be nice to have the option of both!

Now that I own my home, I would have access to a $10,000 grant from CMHC (Canadian Mortgage Housing Corporation). Before, I didn't have access because I didn't own a home (screwy logic, but that's how it works).

I currently just have a regular tub with shower bench - the bench is on its last legs.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

"a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

How's that working McD, a few years in? I hope you finally got your pump dialed in, if not, sorry man, I know how difficult life is with strong spasms and spasticity.
    Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I even commented in that thread! *hand to forehead*

Did it relieve pain? Anything you would have done differently?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

rdf - It's working out pretty well, it is still nice to be enclosed and not have to worry about balance. Pump saga still continues; I got so high on dose we are going a different route now, adding pain med in. Thinking maybe my spaz is "result" of pain rather than "cause" so we are going to try fighting pain too, it's always been there anyway.

lynnifer - don't feel bad, I had to do some hunting before I could find it again. My pain and spazz are definitely relaxed from sitting in warm bath, doesn't last real long but nice while it does. I now sit on a 2" Roho while in there, my butt got bonier and that fiberglass does not give a bit.

Nothing I can think of *I* would have done differently, I wish they had cut the door a little different on mine, there is a lot more seat once I get past the door latch area, makes getting in a little tougher than need be. And yeah my spaz still gives me grief getting in. Looks like the door/seat area on that other one are matched up a little better, might make it easier. Oh yeah, the placement of grab handles blows on mine, hope they got it better on that one, be great if you got a chance to demo it in the showroom.

But don't get me wrong, I still like this thing. Like I said above, being able to just lean against everything lets me do legs/feet better, relaxing in it is great, and it drains in a flash. My water pressure blows so slow fill, but you in a condo probably have better pressure.

Another choice could be to get a Jacuzzi type tub and add an elevating bath lift. You would get the therapeutic effect of the Jacuzzi jets. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by GinoL View Post
    Another choice could be to get a Jacuzzi type tub and add an elevating bath lift. You would get the therapeutic effect of the Jacuzzi jets. Just a thought.
    That sounds like a much more cost effective idea, I've been thinking about getting a tub lift for my Jacuzzi, get's tougher every year getting out of it with just my arms.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

When getting out, how long does it take to drain so you can open the door? Thinking about being cold and wet? And how deep can you get in it .... like Lynnifer was saying, can you scrunch your shoulders down?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I'll be the first to admit that they are way too expensive for what they are, damn niche items for elderly and handicap, we get shafted. But it is out there as an alternative to other options.

sjean - it drains really fast, I've never timed it, but I'm guessing about 90 seconds, maybe 2 minutes. I use the handheld shower to rinse down the sides as it drains, and shoot me a time or two, then it's time for a towel. So no shiver time really. In mine I can scrunch down to get my shoulders under, but it then exposes my knees, but I can't feel those.

edit: what really pisses me off are the "dealers" that inflate the shit out of the price, as I said in orig thread, one person quoted me $18K, that is 3x what I got it for. summabitches....
    Last edited by McDuff; 04-26-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add rant

I'm thinking about getting something like this for my Jacuzzi when I can afford it, no way in heck could I afford 6K for one of those fancy tubs. http://www.electronicsshowplace.com/...-p-247990.html
    This could also be used as a shower chair I'd think when not using it for a bath.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred