Thread: spasms

Exclamation spasms

Hello everyone...I am new to carecure but have been living in a wheelchair for 6 years. I am a c5-c6 incomplete. I have tried everything there is to do to stop my spasms and nothing helps! I stay on the go constantly with school and work. The only thing is I can not wheel over any surface that isnt smooth without having terrible spasms. The spasms I have look like I am playing a double bass drum in a rock band. Its like Im tap dancing sitting down...if anyone out there knows what I mean? When they start doing this I cant keep my feet on the chair and its embarassing. I have maxed out on baclofen and also take tizanadine twice a day. Not really sure how I to spell it? I have also tried botox in my legs and the other thing they inject you with to kill the nerves in your leg. Even that did not work. My doctor can not figure it out of course. Is there someone out there that has the same symptoms or spasms? I really do not want a baclofen pump! Can someone give me some suggestions?
    Thanks! Brent

It's clonus.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

yup clonus.....dont put in a pump!....get off those meds......i had it at the beginning in both feet...now only sometimes in the right...because my left leg is at about 80-90 % function now.....what helps me is just a good dorsiflexion stretch(toes up) ..to stop it just take the pressure off ball of foot (hand under knee and lift ) or push down on foot,it goes faster for a few seconds then stops---at least for me....they say its neurological but the stretch works for me......doesnt do it when i stand , only sitting......i was on baclofen 20mg 3x day for 5 yrs..and zanaflex(tizanidine) for only about 1 yr post.....my legs felt better /stronger off zanaflex..lost that tired feeling throughout myself.........and 6 months ago i started to wean of baclofen...ive been 100% drug free for 3 months now and feel great.....multi vitamin and vitamin c 1000mg......thats it!!........
    try this...move your foot a little forward and put your heel on the footplate so no pressure on the ball of foot...top half of foot off the front of plate(just be carefull indoors not to smash ur toes)....see if it still happens.....but still try to keep that 90' foot/leg position alot.......just if ur cruising in ur chair move it up then go , .
    Last edited by roc21; 05-12-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Quote Originally Posted by brentcarpenter82 View Post
    Hello everyone...I am new to carecure but have been living in a wheelchair for 6 years. I am a c5-c6 incomplete. I have tried everything there is to do to stop my spasms and nothing helps! I stay on the go constantly with school and work. The only thing is I can not wheel over any surface that isnt smooth without having terrible spasms. The spasms I have look like I am playing a double bass drum in a rock band. Its like Im tap dancing sitting down...if anyone out there knows what I mean? When they start doing this I cant keep my feet on the chair and its embarassing. I have maxed out on baclofen and also take tizanadine twice a day. Not really sure how I to spell it? I have also tried botox in my legs and the other thing they inject you with to kill the nerves in your leg. Even that did not work. My doctor can not figure it out of course. Is there someone out there that has the same symptoms or spasms? I really do not want a baclofen pump! Can someone give me some suggestions?
    Thanks! Brent
    After reading your symptoms a few of us have concluded that you are experiencing clonus. Here is a Google page with many references that you may want to read to ascertain if these symptoms are what you are experiencing:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=clonu...d506d947e5ee27

All the best,
    GJ

What dose Baclofen and Tizanidine are you on?
    Do you do stretching/standing frame etc before getting in your WC? do you do stretches or whatever you can throughout the day (every 2 hours or so) while up in wheelchair? Reposition wheelchair ( tilting back and forth) or does your wheelchair elevate and you can put some stretch in your legs by use of repositioning the wheelchair?
    Do you have the very BEST seat cushion, wheelchair, padding and belts to ABSORB and prevent the "noxious" stimuli that riding over the rough surfaces causes for you- from your spine to your feet? I would try this first-of course you won't be going around as lightweight and free and easy.
    There are other meds that might be tried but certainly Baclofen and Tizanidine are the most common.
    Baclofen pump- if these things don't help and you are looking at this for the long run the pump can be a great help. In some SCI, Baclofen pills just don't get to the area needed, and the pump feeds the medication directly into the cerebral spinal fluid that is in the spine and also circulates to the brain. And certainly everything should be tried before the pump is implantable and a trial would be done first. And you shouldn't have to suffer.

CWO