Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Come Visit Topolino at Abilities Expo May 20-22

We are happy to have you try out our wheels at the Abilities Expo! We'll have an assortment at the show and will try to include a 559 set as well.

Our wheels take a standard 1/2" axle, so we are able to use your existing axle from your chair. Our actual hub width is 2.9", but the internal bearing spacing can vary between the standard 1.9" and 2.3", to fit any axle. This also means a slightly narrower overall width (versus 3.1" or 3.2" for Spinergy), depending on your axle and receiver configuration.

Nice to hear. Our wheels can be trued and serviced (not that they will need it) by any reputable bike shop. We use standard sized nipples that fit a bike shop's spoke wrench - just like our cycling wheels!

Seeing as it's integrated/bonded into the hub, what's involved in repairing a broken spoke on the Topolino?

Variable internal spacing? That's a really nice idea. Fewer parts? Another win. Lighter? Stronger?

I've only ever broken a spoke on sports chair, but that does seem like a compromise in the Topolino design.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Seeing as it's integrated/bonded into the hub, what's involved in repairing a broken spoke on the Topolino?
    Excellent question! Curiosity got the best of me . . . so I went trolling.

from Topolino:

"WHAT HAPPENS IF I BREAK A SPOKE?
    Topolino's carbon fiber spokes are incredibly strong and tough. Further, these spokes are not subject to flex fatigue like steel spokes, because they cannot move where they join the hub and do not experience the bend and squirm associated with conventional steel spokes. A small cosmetic nick in the spoke should normally be no problem. If a spoke ever does somehow fail, half of the spokes and one side of the hub are removed and replaced as one modular piece. Although not as inexpensive as a traditional steel spoke, the process is relatively straightforward (no special tools) and these replacement "halves" are provided at a very reasonable cost."
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Excellent question! Curiosity got the best of me . . . so I went trolling.

from Topolino:

"WHAT HAPPENS IF I BREAK A SPOKE?
    Topolino's carbon fiber spokes are incredibly strong and tough. Further, these spokes are not subject to flex fatigue like steel spokes, because they cannot move where they join the hub and do not experience the bend and squirm associated with conventional steel spokes. A small cosmetic nick in the spoke should normally be no problem. If a spoke ever does somehow fail, half of the spokes and one side of the hub are removed and replaced as one modular piece. Although not as inexpensive as a traditional steel spoke, the process is relatively straightforward (no special tools) and these replacement "halves" are provided at a very reasonable cost."
    Thanks for the link, Chas. Given the relatively steep price for these wheels, I would be curious to know what a "reasonable cost" might add up to. Your ball, Joe.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. If it's not covered under our one year warranty, it is $95 to change the wheel half with the broken spoke, and we do it here at our factory in Bethel, CT.