Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat feet

Fat feet

Why do some people get fat feet and not others? I don't want to wear Ted hose with summer coming around I need salt intake flor low blood pressure. I mean what's the deal! So annoying

Swollen feet? It is swelling due to pooling of fluid in the lower extremities due to the damage to the autonomic and parasympthetic nervous system from the SCI and the difficulty with getting the fluid pumped back up to the heart and kidneys. The compression hose help prevent the swelling and assists with recirculation as well as keeping the legs and feet up.And it is worse in those with orthostatic hypotension.
    Flesh color? white? Make them a part of your summer wardrobe?

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Swollen feet? It is swelling due to pooling of fluid in the lower extremities due to the damage to the autonomic and parasympthetic nervous system from the SCI and the difficulty with getting the fluid pumped back up to the heart and kidneys. The compression hose help prevent the swelling and assists with recirculation as well as keeping the legs and feet up.And it is worse in those with orthostatic hypotension.
    Flesh color? white? Make them a part of your summer wardrobe?

CWO
    I thought that "Ted" soxs were to prevent blood clots and didn't offer much compression and that "Jobst" soxs were the compression ones. The "Jobst" even have a compression rating on the package.
    ^^(A)^^

Keeping your legs elevated when you can helps return the fluid back towards your heart too, so when watching TV or just sitting still use a footstool if you can, or tilt if that is part of your chair mechanism.

I wear compression hose that looks like regular stockings .... still not "beach" friendly, but better.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

My feet don't swell much unless I'm on my period. In the summer months I drastically cut back on the carbs, I also don't drink caffeine and this really helps my feet from swelling.

Maybe some tan full stocking would look decent

Smile

What up Rach? Cant believe I saw you on here! I have the problem too! I have to get in my power chair and elevate my feet. Also when I get in the bed I raise the foot part if your bed does that? I was wondering if there is a med out there you can take? Also I dont think the ted hose work for that purpose? I wear wakeskate shoes during the summer. There like sneakers but for water and land. Theres plenty of cool shoes for this though But I could understand if you wanted to wear sandles or your rainbows

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    Why do some people get fat feet and not others? I don't want to wear Ted hose with summer coming around I need salt intake flor low blood pressure. I mean what's the deal! So annoying
    you are still a fresh injury, it does get better with time. What helped me is regular strenuous exercise, gets the blood pumping.

In your profile you listed quad rugby as an interest - get in that chair and pound it! I don't know if you play rugby or just watch, but if you don't have a chair get in contact with the league in your state and they will likely be able to find a chair to lend you. If you don't have access to a rugby chair get moving in your day chair.

Stay hydrated and don't over-eat. You will be amazed at how much better you feel. Last year this time I was so depressed I barely got out of bed. Now I weight train 3x a week, handcycle every off day and play rugby twice a week. My feet never swell up anymore but that's nothing compared to every other health benefit (mental/bladder/bowel).

That is actually really interesting because it seemed to get worse after rugby. I do play and try to be as intimidating as possible as a .5 girl. Lol. I never over eat. It's actually really hard for me to eat.