Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why spinal injuries are not what we see on TV

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Soap operas always go for drama. Every marriage doesn't involve cheating, for example. They aren't documentaries.

There are reports on the news occasionally about successful quads and paras, but rarely about a disabled person who kills himself/herself, unless it's done in a public place.
    Sadly there is now. Emmerdale went all the way this week.

i quit reading when the article more or less stated paras have use of their arms while quads don't.

''scuba dives, fly-fishes, teaches self-defence and kayaks'' - Too bad Emmerdale is missing out on all this fun he could have had by now.
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I'm incapable of expressing the big enough 'F*ck you' towards Colm Whooley, that I feel inside. - have a nice weekend.
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I think paraplegics suicide more than quadriplegics. I either read that somewhere, or someone posted it here. The people doing the suicide research figured out that paras are often all alone, whereas quadriplegics usually have someone around every day - in the form of caregivers. Also, it's much easier for paras to kill themselves than quads - who need help to acquire the necessary materials to do the deed.
    Having someone around all the time (caregivers, etc) could still be very lonely and maddening. Seriously, I can imagine one might consider suicide if they never had a moment alone. A friend of mine who's a high quad (neck down) made it a point to be alone when he doesn't need help doing something, and I think this has helped his sanity. The dude has even gone a few miles to get to class alone in his powerchair, sometimes taking the bus.

But the point about quads, particularly high quads, not being able to kill themselves should definitely be taken into consideration when looking at suicide rates among paras and quads. But then, paras are bigger whiners, too.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 06-10-2011 at 01:17 PM.

There really is diversity in how people who are SCI/wheelchair users are portrayed, if you look for it. It's not always suicidal or super-inspiring, though those extremes seem to be the majority, I'll admit.

The key is to get more people in wheelchairs in TV and movies who are not the focus of the story and who are just a character in the show/movie. I'm not opposed to the person with SCI/disability being the focus, but when they are the focus it is too easy for the writers to fall into the bitter-or-inspirational stereotypes.

There will never be a consensus among crips though. Some people see the bitter/suicidal cripple in movies/TV and get pissed and say "but that's not me!" while others see super-achiever/inspirational cripple in media and say "but it's not that easy for me!" They're both right, actually, and instead of whining about the kinds of cripple you think you aren't being in the media because you're worried how it will affect how people see you, realize that it's not all about you and encourage and promote diversity of portrayals, not the elimination of portrayals you're afraid make you look bad.