Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cloth side guards vs plastic

cloth side guards vs plastic

I just got a new Quickie Q7 and the little bit of the plastic side guard that sticks up is making it more difficult to load and unload, so I was thinking of going with the cloth side guards, any one have goods or bads about the difference in the two. Also anyone have any cloth ones they want to sell
    thanks

Cloth ones do not keep their shape and do not protect well...at least not mine. Can your side guards be removed when you are loading/unloading?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Cloth side guards don't break.
    Cloth side guards eventually lose thier shape and wear out.
    Cloth side guards arn't hard to replace (unless you make them from scratch and don't know how to sew!).

Plastic ones keep thier shape longer.
    Plastic ones hold you in better.
    Plastic ones eventually break.
    Plastic ones are a bit more work to replace (If you don't want to buy them from a DME for stupid money).

On that note, I always use the hard side guards. I know for a fact i'll break a couple during the 5 years with that chair. So the first time I do is make a stencil of the guard. When I break it, I just go to home depot and find something close to it (plastic, or plexiglass). cut it out, and replace.
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

I could take them off but just one more pain in the butt step to get my chair loaded

I remove mine everytime...not that time consuming to do
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

No point in cloth sideguards - they don't hold you in.

But having to pull out the plastic ones all the time is a pain. That's one of the reasons I'm sticking with my Top End Terminator - the aluminum sideguards slide down when you fold the back. Nobody else seems to have this feature.

I got the carbon fiber ones from tilite...and my friend liked them so much he fabricated a set of his own with door hinges and a template of the side guards. Just another idea.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I remove mine everytime...not that time consuming to do
    Part of why I use the rigid guards is because I sit on a Roho cushion and they help keep it out of the spokes.

I have always just taken them off when breaking down chair to put in car, etc.

Also, I always get the "child's size" guards, get the job done with a lower profile , easier to transfer over etc.

I have been debating this topic myself. I only need something to keep little bits of fabric from rubbing on the wheels. Since my chair is a little large for me I don't need anything more than that. Would cloth side guards be OK for this purpose?

Oli

My first chair was a quickie and I used the cloth sideguards and really liked them. They kept my clothes clean, I never hung up in the wheels, etc. I used them in the spring thaw in Boston after a winter full of snow. They cleaned easily with a cloth.

Does TiLite offer this type of sideguard? Is it possible to take it off an old quickie and move it to a TiLite? I assume the seat size would need to be compatible?
    Every day I wake up is a good one