Thread: Inosine Treatment...

Inosine Treatment...

Could someone help me with this? Is the Inosine used at Boston Life Sciences ( www.bostonlifescience.com/news17.htm )the same as the inosine found in Brewers Yeast? Has anyone tried mass doses of this? I've read where bodybuilders have used from 2000-5000mg/day w/o side-effects. I have tried a search here and haven't found anyone who uses it. Thanks

Iway,

There has been very extensive discussions of inosine here on this forum and in the Cando forums that preceded this one. Here are some of my views on this... and some others may want to chip in.

1. Inosine is a very common substance. It is present in yeast (as you mentioned), as well as meat, and many other foods. It is also readily available in purified form from most health food stores. It is also present in high concentrations in your brain, spinal cord, muscle, liver, and other tissues.

2. Inosine does not penetrate the blood brain barrier well. It is in fact probably actively excluded by the blood brain barrier because it is probably not a good thing for this chemical to be present in high concentrations where there may be receptors for the drug. To achieve the levels of inosine that Larry Benowitz applied to the brain, very high oral and sustained doses of inosine is necessary.

3. Inosine is not innocuous. Its breakdown product (uric acid) causes gout and kidney stones. Taking repeated high doses of the inosine over a long period of time is likely to cause both. So, I strongly recommend against doing so.

In my opinion, it is not clear that there is not already sufficient inosine in the brain to produce some of the sprouting and other growth that was described by Larry Benowitz. The question that arises is whether direct application of inosine to the brain will extend the growth period of axons. This is still an unanswered question.

Wise.

Thanks Dr.Young for clearing that up. I have so much to learn.( sometimes feel as though I'm playing Beat The Clock )LWAY

While we're on the subject....
    How much is too much? If inosine is "present in high concentrations in your brain, spinal cord..."
    and do you think that this is why "most people recover, to some degree, from spinal cord injuries?"