Thread: $500,000 Push For The Cure!

$500,000 Push For The Cure!

Denver, CO, Tuesday, March 26th. 7-10pm.

The first annual Push For The Cure fundraising dinner sponsored by Craig Hospital was held last night at the Marriott Tech Center.

Approximately 783 people attended the event which raised over $500,000.00 for research focused on curing SCI and TBI.

The event was outstanding in that it featured many prominent local Craig physicians (Dr. Scott Falci, Dr. Dan Lammertse)as well as physicians from the Karolinska Institute - Stockholm, Sweden. Christopher Reeve provided a video welcome and thank you and local sports celebrities Brian Griese - honorary chairman (Broncos) and Peter Forsberg (Avalanche) participated as well.

Local newsanchors (Channel 4, CBS) Stephanie Riggs and Ed Green MC'd the evening.

Melissa Holley (world's first macrophage therapy recipient) and Eric Hoffman (4th in the world) also attended.

I was blown away by the turnout and success of this event. As a committee member who helped put this together we exceeded our most aggressive expectations.

I'm psyched for next year already!

P.S. I spent alot of time with the research people and docs. Every one of them is convinced that a cure is coming. Stay tuned for continued breaking news!

Thanks for your support.

Onward and Upward!

[This message was edited by Chris on Mar 27, 2002 at 01:57 PM.]

Chris,

What has been Melissa's progress? I have been wondering of it since I last saw her on TV. Atleast with you I would get a straight answer from someone who is injured rather than a fluff piece done on a news show. I remember her being a complete injury. Thanks!

BTW awesome job on the fundraising this is where the differences are made.

Pep84

Melissa is doing well. A sophomore in college in Arkansas. Healthy, happy, looks good.

Yes, she's still in a wheelchair. Has some leg movement and is still utilizing pool therapy and gaiting. Nothing monumentous in her progress but still progressing.

She is hopeful for a cure but still moving forward with life not dwelling on recovery.

Onward and Upward!

WAY TO GO, CHRIS!!!!!!!!!! Now that's fundraising!