Thread: Dr Wise Speaks to Us On: Chronic antidepressant treatment increases neurogenesis in adult rat hippocampus

Dr Wise Speaks to Us On: Chronic antidepressant treatment increases neurogenesis in adult rat hippocampus

Some exist matters talking about medicines against depression that induce the growth of neurons in Hippocampus in adult mammals. Why only in Hippocampus?

Rebechi_Brasil

Rebechi,

I am sorry for the delay in answering your question. I am not aware of the study that you are talking about. Many neurotransmitters may promote growth and the hippocampus is just one structure of the brain that has been extensively studied. Antidepressants alter the level of neurotransmitters that neurons are exposed to. On the other hand, I am not aware of any evidence that suggests that people who take antidepressants are recovering more function than those who do not take antidepressants. Therefore, the evidence is incomplete.

At the present, I have a graduate student studying the effects of neurotransmitters on spinal axonal growth, branching, and pruning. The answer is not yet clear.

Wise.

Rebechi Brazil:

You may wish to do a search on Medline (or using the above Care/Cure search engine) for "cAMP, Rolipram, and Dr. Marie Filbin." Rolipram is an anti-depressant that raises CNS levels of cAMP, which in turn (she reports) causes nerves to grow in spite of myelin based inhibitors. Good luck!

James Kelly

Jim points out an interesting thing. Many of the drugs that are effective for spinal cord injury problems are often failed drugs in other fields. Neurontin (gabapentin) is a good example of a drug that was initially approved for epilepsy but turned out to be not so effective for epilepsy but was more effective for chronic neuropathic pain. Antidepressants (such as amitryptaline) turned out to be effective in low dose for chronic neuropathic pain, as well. Rollipram was originally thought to be useful for depression but it was never really used for that purpose and now it seems that it might be useful for facilitating regeneration. Many of the neurotransmitters act by increasing cAMP since cAMP is a universal intracellular messenger that increases with drugs that activate adenyl cyclase.

Finally, here is a crazy idea. One of the most effective stimulators of cAMP in the body is cholera toxin. The toxin binds specifically to GM1 (does that sound familiar... Sygen). See (http://attila.stevens-tech.edu/chemb...nw/final~1.htm ). It would be very interested to know whether people with spinal cord injury who contract cholera recover more function.

Wise.

so we need to drink contaminated sewer water.

Sewer water:)

DA,

I doubt that even you would try that. If you do a search for substances that raise the levels of cAMP, one interesting is Coleus Forskoli which is a supplement available at health food stores. I think people take it for reasons varying from headaches to it supposedly helping the body stay "younger" . I wonder if it could be a safe way to try to raise levels of cAMP?

Russ Byrd

Cholera? You make any connections with a scientist in Napoli (Naples) while you were in Brescia, Wise? They may have subjects to check out for this. The Bay of Naples is one big sewer because everytime the city tries to dig new sewers the Department of Archeology stops them when they hit the first artifact. I never got cholera but samenella typhoid was bad enough...

Fortunately, the cholera toxin is now available as a drug so that you don't have to drink sewer water. Wise.