Thread: SCI model rehab VS standard?

SCI model rehab VS standard?

Hi everyone. i have found this site extremely helpful in researching info about my friend's injury. He was a T11 vertebral rupture after being hit by a drunk driver 5 weeks ago.He has no anal sensation nor genitalia sensation. He does, however, have normal bladder sensation. While he has no function in the legs, only spasms, he does have infrequent sensation. He definitely complained of "bone pain" when his PT accidentally knocked his toes into the wall while in his wheelchair. From what I can read on this site, he is considered a complete injury since he has no function of sacral regions? Even though he has random sensation in his legs? Oh yea, he feels wedgies of his pants too LOL He spent 2 weeks in ICU and 1 week in step down. He is now in rehab. he is still a bit limiting learning to transfer, etc as he had an arm fracture which has yet to be cleared.
    We watched a video on the Parastep today. anyone with any experience with this?
    Him and his wife are looking to build a home. I have been trying to research maybe modular homes which are specific to accessibility, thinking this might be the quickets way to build. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Has he been ASIA tested? That is really the best way to determine complete/incomplete. Also, he probably still has swelling that may impact his sensation.

Where is he doing rehab. Is it a SCI model center (the best) or a general rehab facility? There is a big difference.

I know he is frustrated about the broken arm but it takes time. This whole thing takes time. My son crushed both his legs in the accident that damaged his spinal cord. He is an incomplete C-2, ASIA D. This means that he has movement and sensation below the point of injury. He has been limited by the crushed legs but plans to walk again. The hardest part of this process is to understand that it is a process. There is no magic pill or magic exercise. Progress is slow but it can happen. It takes work and determination and good therapists. If he is a complete injury, good therapists can help him maximize what he has, learn new ways to do everyday things, and keep his body in shape.

FYI, the bladder and bowels are on the same nerves so he may see a change there in the coming months. Six weeks is nothing in SCI recovery.--eak

Thanks for your reply. He doesn't have bowel or actual ability to control urination. He is catheterization dependent, but DOES feel normal "urge" to urinate if that makes sense. It seems his sensation really stops just below the hips. As far as I know, he has not been assigned an ASIA score. I work in the medical field,so I have been trying to piece together some of the basic info he gives me. Like I said, he has no anal sensation. No motor use of anything waist down but does complain of pain with spasms and running into a wall LOL
    6 weeks definitely is early. It appears his funtion/sensation has not really improved since the very few minutes post injury.
    he really is doing amazing. He is in a general rehab facility at the level 3 trauma center where he was initially admitted. They are hoping to extend him another 5-6 weeks due to the fact he can't fully transfer independently with a broken arm.

Eak,
    From what I can deduct from my own assessment, at this time I would think he is an L1-L2 Asia A.

SCI model rehab VS standard?

Hi everyone. New to this forum. I have a very close friend who is 6 weeks post injury. I am unaware if he has been given a classification, but from what I can deduct, he appears to currently be an L1 Complete (Asia A). The closest SCI model rehab is about 65 minutes away while the current inpatient rehab (same hospital where admitted trauma center) is 25 min from home. He currently is pretty limited in practicing self transfer, etc bc he had a fractured arm which is healing, but still not cleared to bear weight. Any thoughts on SCI Model VS Standard rehab in his situation?

Dear Time4Summer

Being your friend is still in the UnSwelling stage on his spinal cord >> he probably will notice more sensation as time goes on as Swelling diminishes .

I am saying this from personal experience .

Also ;
    Click on Forum Jump and check out all the information We have to offer here it is about the largest Web SCI informative site out there . Care Cure Community is enoromous .

Sincerely;
    GL

I would put in a plug for a SCI model rehab. For 100 reasons. First of all, the PTs and the Physiatrists are exposed to the volume of SCI cases to get good at rehabing SCI. It isn't that the PT at the standard places are not capable people, it is just that they don't get the volume of SCI cases to get really good at that.

The next issue is education about bowel, bladder, infection, skin, AD, etc. This is the critical time to get these concepts driven into your head and the Model rehab has the better education for spinal cord injury. I think this may be the most important aspect, beyond the quality of the PTs even.

Another important aspect of SCI rehab is going through the experience with other SCIs, some worse off and some better off than you. You are going through this education and frightening journey together and I believe there is therapeutic benefit to this. Contrast this with the feeling of aloneness at a rehab where there are mostly elderly stroke patients. It is different. Especially if you are in your 20's.

Recreation Therapy - this was my lifeline - this kept my sanity, upbeat people showing me a way to get back to sports. I don't think 'rec therapy' is present in non-SCI standard rehab programs.

I know that is not a 100 reasons, but that is what comes to mind.....
    good luck....
    arndog

Dog,
    Thanks so much for your input. I really think an SCI rehab program would be more beneficial, especially once his arm is cleared and he can bear weight on it. Not sure how to approach it with him since he is already settled and happy where he is. Also would put a strain on his family and wife being 60 miles away.

The local rehab center likely sees mostly stroke and perhaps TBI patients, but not very many SCI patients...in fact he may be the only one there for rehab. The ability to share experiences in rehab with others with similar injuries, much less the fact that he would have much more expert and experienced staff running his rehab program makes 65 miles away from family, for what is likely to be only a month, appear insignificant.

Your acute rehab experience, after a SCI, is "boot-camp for life" with a SCI. He deserves the best, and it would be unfortunate to settle for second or third best if he has the opportunity to have the best.

(KLD)