Thread: Electric Beds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Electric Beds

For those of you who sleep on hospital beds or those like the Transfer Master,which ones do you guys reccomend?
    I'm thinking of purchasing a Transfer Master. It will allow me to raise or lower bed to facilitate easier transfers. Any good or bad feed back on this bed will be appreciated.

Anyone use a bed that they feel may be a better choice? All input will be appreciated.

I use Transfermaster and like it because the Classic goes down to 18" so that you can transfer down from chair. Of course it goes plenty high enough so that you transfer down again from bed to chair. The bed and controls seem to be excellent quality. I do use the available mattress cushion, the mattress is a little too firm for me. It does however add a couple of inches. I purchased the battery backup with bed.

I am really into preserving what's left of my shoulders and now bed to chair and chair to bed is always a super easy transfer.

Look for a bed that has either a solid pan (the area on which the mattress rests) or a slat pan. Springs give too much and allow the mattress to sag when doing transfers and ADLs in bed. A full electric (high/low and head of bed controls) is much better than semi-electric or manual. Also, be sure that you can fit a mobile lift under the bed. Even if you don't use a lift now, you might need one later when recovering from an injury or illness (unless you put in a ceiling track lift).

(KLD)

Thanks Ancient Gimp and KLD. I'm trying to regain independence after having full thickness tear in rt rotator cuff and rt bicep reattached to the bone.I've been in bed with wound vac to close non healing surgical wound
    My immediate goal is to be able to dress myself so I can get in chair with Sure Hands ceiling lift so I can go to
    OT and use their help to regain full range of motion in shoulder.

I'm currently using home health PT as I'm trying to regain strength in arms and leg flexibility to dress myself.

Thanks AG and KLD.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I use a hospital bed also. I prefer one with Trendelenburg or tilt.

This allows me to sit up straight in bed to take medicine or exercise. It sure is a lot easier on my shoulders when reaching and such.
    I use a CamTec bed that is not made any more but it is being replaced with a Invacare CS9 Electric Bed.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Look for a bed that has either a solid pan (the area on which the mattress rests) or a slat pan. Springs give too much and allow the mattress to sag when doing transfers and ADLs in bed.
    (KLD)
    I have an Invacare with springs and was uncomfortable with its softness, so I had some plywood cut and affixed it to the three sections of the bed and that firmed it up.

Interesting timing here as I just received a packet that was filled with advertisement fliers for disability aids, for lack of abetter description, and one that caught my eye was from Transfer Master.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I use a low air loss mattress, so I hope that the Invacare bed has slats like my current one. Springs would quickly put an end to my air mattress.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt