Thread: 2" knobby on 1" rim

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live

2" knobby on 1" rim

i'm swapping out tires and putting a set of 2" knobby tires on 1" rims(Spinergy or Topolino). I've ben using 1 3/8 knobby and changing my own tires, it was some work but i've been able to do it. I'm not having much luck with these 2" knobby, I'm having a hard time even getting the tube on and valve stem through the hole in rim. Anyone here change their own tires and got some tips?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    The way I do it !

Put half the tire on.
    Put the tube on.
    Inflate the tube a little just so it fills the tire and stays in place.
    Put the other half of the tire on.
    Check both sides of the tire and rim to make sure the tube isn't pinched between the tire and rim.
    Fully inflate the tire.

I do mine a little different. Spray everything with silicone. Tire (inside), tube, rim. Put enough air in the tube to hold it in the tire. Rim on my lap, tire valve hole up eye level. Put the valve stem in the hole and work the bead away from you on the rim. When you get the back bead on start the bead close to you on the rim opposite the valve stem. Roll the tire on the rim, letting air out of the tube if necessary. When you get to the stem area you should have about a foot of bead not on. Push the bead you already have on away from the rim, down in that v/well in the middle of the rim. This will loosen the bead a little. You should now be able to roll the rest of the tire on the rim. Push the valve stem back into the tire, when you get near it. Try never to use tire tool, screw driver to get a tire on a rim. That's the way it gets pinch flats.

I have 2.135" tires on 1" rims for off road use and yeah, they're a bitch to get on and off. Especially if they're new. Brute force is usually what I rely on.

I've always used tire tools and have never had a problem with pinching. If you get multiple tire irons you can force one part in, leave the iron in so the bead doesn't fall out, then do the same a few inches over. I've had 3-4 tire irons sticking out of a tire trying to get it on or off.

Or you can get a few Quickstix - they're yellow with a black handle. They're made so that if you get a couple in you can easily slide them along the bead and rim. I have 4 and they work like a dream.

Often, if you go to a bike shop they'll just pop them on for you no charge. Just say you're not strong enough or something like that.

OOOH! Swiss Replica Watches!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    $6.00 at the bike shop to mount, the tube i ruined cost me almost that much. i have no problem with the narrow knobby but couldn't get the 2" on and when i did i pinched the tube.

I ruined at least three tubes doing the same thing.
    I use the rounded handles of two spoons as pry bars.
    I use the same method as NW-Will. It was really hard to seat the bead correctly, so the tubes kept pushing out between the bead and the rim and exploding. It took a lot of practice and frustration, but I think I've got it down.
    Once one side of the bead is on the rim and the tube is inside, I pump up the tube a little to keep it in place. I seat the other side of the bead, using the spoons to pry the last few inches of bead onto the rim.
    Then, I add a little more air. I set the bead carefully on each side.
    Then, I add a little more air. I set the bead carefully again.
    I repeat this process until the tube is inflated enough that I can't move the bead. If it's still not centered, I deflate the tube and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    The way I do it !

Put half the tire on.
    Put the tube on.
    Inflate the tube a little just so it fills the tire and stays in place.
    Put the other half of the tire on.
    Check both sides of the tire and rim to make sure the tube isn't pinched between the tire and rim.
    Fully inflate the tire.

Spray anytype of lubricant on the tire; water, meangreen, anything wet. That really helps.

my way of doing tires is to take them to the bike shop and grin madly at any and all people working there