Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ? about remote starter switch/van

I couldn't tell for sure if the 2011 T&C has it? But many vehicles are going to the keyless fob-push button. Anyone know if a remote starter can be added to these?

I will never have a van without a remote starter....Unless I move South, but that's a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by vtran96 View Post
    BTW Scott, how long did your deep cycle battery last? I find myself changing batteries every 3 years.
    I've had this one < 1yr. I had an Optima Yellow Top since '05 though, and eventually one of its cells crapped out. The DieHards from Sears are rebadged Odesseys and have recently gotten reviews of being superior to the Optimas, plus there are Sears locations everywhere should an issue arise. I'm hoping it'll last longer than the Optima.

Just my personal experience: I've used vans with lifts for over 35 years and it's never been a problem for me. I also don't play when I notice the battery getting weak, I replace it. If I lived in colder climates, I might add a remote start just to play it safe but being in SC it will only be a convenience for you, not a requirement.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I have one and use it all the time in the winter....sometimes in the summer when it is hot....I change my battery every 3 years also...only bad thing is that its hard on the alt. as it makes it spikes when you use the lift and acc. when the engine is running.
    Took out 3 alt. in my last 3 vans at about 40,000 miles....so expect to replace it at about that time as I forget to look at the guage and got a surprise evey time it went out.
    I got lucky all 3 times as it was night and could tell by the headlights and made a mad rush home so I could get out before it went dead.
    Otherwise it would be a 911 call....lol
    Lots of times I'll let it warm up or use air cond. and then shut it off then get in the van then restart.
    Getting old and its getting hard to change out.
    This winter it went out and about 40 out and took me 5 hours to change out in the cold.
    What really mad me mad as I new in the fall I should have replaced it as it was at 44,000 miles.

Art
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by vtran96 View Post

I don't know if they all have this feature, but get one that allows the car to keep running before you take the key out. So when you exit the vehicle and close the door, you can shut the engine with the press of a button. Again, saves batteries.
    Now a days that's a fairly common feature on most units. My Scytek Galaxy 5100RS FM remote starter/security system that I personally installed in my Honda Element has that feature, which they call Quick Stop. I use that feature all the time and find it quite useful. On mine all I need to do is while the engine is running, just hold the remote start button on my remote for two seconds and then simply remove the key from the ignition. Then it will just continue to run for it's programmed time setting, which I currently have it set for 15 minutes.

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful. I hope to get my van over to Norton Stereo next week. I will let you know the outcome. I talked to Jessica, an electrical engineer who runs the place, and she says she will have a couple options waiting for me when I bring the van in.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    I have one and use it all the time in the winter....sometimes in the summer when it is hot....I change my battery every 3 years also...only bad thing is that its hard on the alt. as it makes it spikes when you use the lift and acc. when the engine is running.
    Took out 3 alt. in my last 3 vans at about 40,000 miles....so expect to replace it at about that time as I forget to look at the guage and got a surprise evey time it went out.
    I got lucky all 3 times as it was night and could tell by the headlights and made a mad rush home so I could get out before it went dead.
    Otherwise it would be a 911 call....lol
    Lots of times I'll let it warm up or use air cond. and then shut it off then get in the van then restart.
    Getting old and its getting hard to change out.
    This winter it went out and about 40 out and took me 5 hours to change out in the cold.
    What really mad me mad as I new in the fall I should have replaced it as it was at 44,000 miles.

Art
    Would a higher output alternator help in this situation? I have been running my Chevy/Explorer van for 4 years on its original battery and alternator. I remote start the van, the open the power doors, deploy the lift and then use my 6 way seat before driving away. I am not sure if my battery is a stock GM battery or a bigger battery put in by Explorer to handle all the electronic goodies in the van. I just had the battery checked a month ago and it is still holding a full charge. I have not checked my alternator output yet though but plan to now. Anyone else have this problem?

Blog Entries
    Having a second battery installed helps a bunch as well. The biggest problem we have with our lift (braun millenium) is its electronics are super voltage sensitive. Even if you have plenty of juice to start the engine the lift would alarm. We installed a second optima battery and a remote start and have eliminated all the gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful. I hope to get my van over to Norton Stereo next week. I will let you know the outcome. I talked to Jessica, an electrical engineer who runs the place, and she says she will have a couple options waiting for me when I bring the van in.
    Bring a spare key with you. On mine, they tried to use a version of remote that did not need one but had to resort to a remote system that "ate" a key. That is, it has a key locked up inside it because it had to have a key within range for the computer to keep the van running.

This was 6 years ago so maybe they've gotten better, but might as well be prepared.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Art454, what kind of lift and van do you have? I still have the original standard alternator in my 88 Chevy van with a regular battery. I estimate that I have been changing batteries every 3-4 years. I have been using Ricon lifts (currently an Uni Lite) with the engine off. However, me and my iGlide chair only weigh a total of 205 pounds. I am getting ready for a heavy power chair that will result in a total weight of 450-475 pounds.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/