Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ? about remote starter switch/van

? about remote starter switch/van

I am getting ready to start using a power wheelchair. My mobility tech says I should get a remote starter switch for my van so I can start it before I use the lift to get in. Otherwise, I could be left suspended half way up if the battery is not in prime shape.

Has anyone experienced related problems?

Do these switches enable you to leave the engine running until you get out?

If the remote switch fails, can you still start the van with a key?

Any other advice will be appreciated.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I would not be w/o remote start. In winter, I crank up van w remote and leave the heater fan on high. I leave doors closed and lift in until van warms up. It also helps function of lift in bitterly cold weather. In summer, i leave a/c on high and do the same. It does save battery. They will give you a choice as to how long you will want van to idle before auto shutoff. I think 15 min is standard but I would maybe go 20. You can certainly still start van w key if your remote fails. earlier remote starts used mercury switches and were set not to work if hood was open for mechanic's safety. When I had one of these sometimes the mercury switch would read parking on a hill as hood being open. They no longer use these devices. You will love your remote especially in your climate in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I am getting ready to start using a power wheelchair. My mobility tech says I should get a remote starter switch for my van so I can start it before I use the lift to get in. Otherwise, I could be left suspended half way up if the battery is not in prime shape.

Has anyone experienced related problems?

Do these switches enable you to leave the engine running until you get out?

If the remote switch fails, can you still start the van with a key?

Any other advice will be appreciated.
    You cannot be left suspended half way up. Every van lift I've had uses gravity to let you down, no power needed.

The remote start will allow you to have engine running while you operate power doors and lift. However the EZ-Lock w/c lockdowns I have used will not release while the engine is running. I normally open the doors and move the lift to floor level with engine running,then turn it off and release the EZ-Lock.

Yes you can still start it with the key.

Bill

Remote starters have their benefits, especially with getting AC/heat on in advance. I had one in a previous vehicle. Hitting the brakes killed the ignition if they key wasn't inserted... i.e., you can't drive w/o a key.

If you're worried about battery health, just upgrade to a better battery (deep cycle). I'm using one of these in my Jeep. Worth every penny: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850134000P

I agree w/ Ancient, best thing I added to my van.

Yes you can leave it running til you get out. With my unit and it works for others on CC too, with key in and van running, I double-tap my remote start like normal, wait until I hear the faint clicking sound, and then just remove the key, van will stay running. Once you are out, double-tap again to shutdown.

I transfer to the driver seat and back, it is amazing how hot the van can get in Tx heat in the time it takes to get out, love having a/c running for the process. With engine running, all the electrics work faster, my 6way base/doors/ramp all work faster.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I have always had remote starters in my vehicles and wouldn't be caught without it in the winters. My current Chevy/Explorer conversion van has used a remote starter since I have had it for 4 years now with no known problems with the battery or lift. In fact it is still running on its original battery! The lift, power doors and seat base run much faster when the vehicle is running. Once you get used to using the remote starter you will never go without one!

Where do u purchase remote starters and have them install?
    Which ones work the best?
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    Where do u purchase remote starters and have them install?
    Places that sell/install mobile audio / car stereos.

In the winter, I use it getting into and out of my van. The wheelchair lift is hard on the battery when it's -10c and colder!

I don't really worry about in now, even though I do start the van when I'm getting into it, I don't bother keeping it started when I'm exiting it.

You cannot be left suspended half way up. Every van lift I've had uses gravity to let you down, no power needed.
    The superarm leaves you hanging..Been there done that. there's a socket you get someone to turn to get you in or out of your van..
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

I agree with everybody else. The remote starter extends battery life. I bought mine over 12 years ago for $50 and installed it with the help of my brother-in law. You probably won't need the deep cycle battery that Scott recommends, but it wouldn't hurt. I've had my battery die on me several times already, big inconvenience. Waiting for AAA for over an hour gets old. I now carry a set of jumper cables and battery bump box just in case.

I don't know if they all have this feature, but get one that allows the car to keep running before you take the key out. So when you exit the vehicle and close the door, you can shut the engine with the press of a button. Again, saves batteries.

BTW Scott, how long did your deep cycle battery last? I find myself changing batteries every 3 years.
    Last edited by vtran96; 05-04-2011 at 04:50 PM.