Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ? about remote starter switch/van

SCI55 you may want to check out your lift specifications for the load rating because my Braun Vangater has a max load rating of 400 lbs. I use a manual chair. I find it interesting that you are still on your original alternator! Since you have not used your lift when the van is running and not subjected the alternator to wide voltage spikes is probably why. I am looking into this issue with my Braun rep.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I've had this one < 1yr. I had an Optima Yellow Top since '05 though, and eventually one of its cells crapped out. The DieHards from Sears are rebadged Odesseys and have recently gotten reviews of being superior to the Optimas, plus there are Sears locations everywhere should an issue arise. I'm hoping it'll last longer than the Optima.
    I had an optima battery (red top) as well, lasted about 3 years. I'll try the deep cycle next. Thanks.

i always start mine before using the ramps doors etc, i just only open it first to get in it then i make sure i start it and then use all the electric junk, and i've still got the same battery for 4 years now, no problems at all......

Quote Originally Posted by GinoL View Post
    SCI55 you may want to check out your lift specifications for the load rating because my Braun Vangater has a max load rating of 400 lbs. I use a manual chair. I find it interesting that you are still on your original alternator! Since you have not used your lift when the van is running and not subjected the alternator to wide voltage spikes is probably why. I am looking into this issue with my Braun rep.
    The specs indicate the Uni Lite lift is rated at 600 pounds. We tried it with a 530 lb. load. It worked but did not sound happy. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    i always start mine before using the ramps doors etc, i just only open it first to get in it then i make sure i start it and then use all the electric junk, and i've still got the same battery for 4 years now, no problems at all......
    I'm the same way, but they still only last about 3 years ('96 Grand Voyager and on 5th battery). I probably have a slow drain.

The above weight capacity was an error it was for a smaller lift. My capacity is 600 lbs. Thank god in case I need a PC down the road!

I just received an update from my Braun rep regarding the remote starter and using my lift:

Glad to hear things are okay. The way you are operating it is fine. That should have no affect on the alternator, in fact, you are correct in the way you are using it. Having the van running supplies maximum voltage to the battery extending its life because you are maintaining the battery with the alternator while using the lift. You can always upgrade to a larger battery with higher cranking amperage and would recommend that if you are replacing the battery anyway. The one you currently have is fine but it never hurts to upgrade.

Looks like I should upgrade my battery soon to a higher cranking amperage and possibly a deep cycle such as a Diehard Platium or Optima.

Looks like I should upgrade my battery soon to a higher cranking amperage and possibly a deep cycle such as a Diehard Platium or Optima.
    Unless you actually plan on operating your lift multiple times without the vehicle running, or you have many accessories that you like to use without the vehicle running for extended periods of time, then you really don't need a deep cycle battery.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    Unless you actually plan on operating your lift multiple times without the vehicle running, or you have many accessories that you like to use without the vehicle running for extended periods of time, then you really don't need a deep cycle battery.
    I agree. You really don't want a deep cycle battery. That is meant for deep (long close to full and somewhat slower) discharging and then recharging. There are some that have the cranking power for starters (sailing yachts use these) but they are very expensive. Deep cycles are the auxiliary batteries in RV's, running all the crap when the generator isn't running. But, in the engine, they still have a regular starter battery. Operating a lift is much more similar to starting the car. High amps needed for a short period of time, then a quick recharge. The life of the battery is mostly dependent on the quality of the battery, and on the number of times it is stressed. If you use the lift often, the battery will die sooner. In that case, it is probably worth investing in a higher quality battery.

I have 2 batteries. One runs the starter and one runs the lift. Both get charged when the engine runs. And I have a remote start. This way I never get stranded. If the starter battery dies, I can still get in my van. Then, when starting, the lift battery joins in to support the dead main. If the lift battery dies, I can remote start the car and run the lift.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    I agree. You really don't want a deep cycle battery. That is meant for deep (long close to full and somewhat slower) discharging and then recharging. There are some that have the cranking power for starters (sailing yachts use these) but they are very expensive. Deep cycles are the auxiliary batteries in RV's, running all the crap when the generator isn't running. But, in the engine, they still have a regular starter battery. Operating a lift is much more similar to starting the car. High amps needed for a short period of time, then a quick recharge. The life of the battery is mostly dependent on the quality of the battery, and on the number of times it is stressed. If you use the lift often, the battery will die sooner. In that case, it is probably worth investing in a higher quality battery.

I have 2 batteries. One runs the starter and one runs the lift. Both get charged when the engine runs. And I have a remote start. This way I never get stranded. If the starter battery dies, I can still get in my van. Then, when starting, the lift battery joins in to support the dead main. If the lift battery dies, I can remote start the car and run the lift.
    My van does have an 24" HD DVD monitor and high end sound system that we use during football and NASCAR tailgate parties. There are also other DC outlets that we use for a blender and accessories. I have to run the van frequently to keep the battery charged doing this. That was the reason for suggesting a deep cycle. I have also thought of adding the deep cycle as a second battery with a battery isolater switch for this purpose. I am not sure which way would be the best solution yet, still consulting with my tech guys. Thanks for the advice.

I had a remote starter installed this morning. $217 including tax. The remote is a simple one button unit. It is set up so I can start the van before I get in and shut the engine off after I get out. I will let you know if I run into any problems. Now all I need is my power wheelchair. It is probably 6 weeks away.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/