Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: I Need Advice Badly

  1. #1

    I Need Advice Badly

    I don't know if this should belong in Work and School Forum or here but, I'm about to have a total mental breakdown and I don't know what to do. If you've read my other thread, you'll know that my school is not letting me use my graphiing software and because of this I am behind in Math. I have been doing all the work except for the actual graphs (sign analysis, intercepts) ect. I also lost my binder and have a Bio test on Monday. I got photocopies of the notes, but I need to sort through them and get them organized. THEN I had problems with my powe chair and it's like 2 weeks old. Anyhow, back to this whole math business. I phoned the Ministry of Education and got the number of a guy who should be able to help me out as far as what to do about the graphing software. I also emailed the online class coordinator to find out whether they will allow me to use my graphing software next year when I take Physics and Math C30 online (I seriously think my school just doesn't want to help which is why I think online just might be different-- mom is putting in a call to my math teacher tomorrow)`So, as many of you know, I really want to go to OT school. In order to be accepted, I need at least one stats course in University. Will they accomadate my need for graphing software? (I contacted Disability Services and am awaiting a response). Even though I KNOW I'm doing my best between the emmense pain my shoulder is causing all the way into my chest and all the other sh**, I feel like I've failed. I am scared that my dreams of being an OT are just gone, not because I don't want them but, because if I can't get a Stats class, I won't get into OT school.

    Does anyone have advice?

    I'm sorry it's so long.

    WG

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    589
    Jessica, first of all, take a deep breath. Let your mom fight with your teacher tomorrow. All you need from high school is a diploma. After that, options exist. Also, your stats class does not have to be first semester.

    You have time to form a relationship with your Disability Services Representative (DSR) and that person will be your champion with teachers at the college level. You can more than fill your first year schedule with the other BS general ed stuff you will need. Get you DSR involved from the start so that they can help you in all areas of your college experience. They do this because they want to help you be successful, not put barriers in your way. They know the teachers and can point you to the teachers that will be the best fit for you.

    Your goals are not slipping away. Life starts all over after high school. Be honest with your DSR and get them involved in your class selections (both on campus and online). You will be surprised how different academic life can be.

    Ryan and I had to fight with his former high school in a big way. He was injured in March of his senior year and only needed the government class for his diploma. The other classes he was taking were just filler in his schedule. The principal sent me about 60 work sheets for Ryan to complete for grading for his diploma. At the time, he could not hold a pencil, let alone write in a box. He also had double vision so bad that reading was painful (literally). His neuro-psych doctor wrote her a letter suggesting that some one take the time to talk to him about his knowledge of US government. In order to complete the worksheets, he would require the reasonable accomodation of someone to read the text book to him, read the questions, and document his answers.

    He spent about two hours with his teacher and she ended up giving him an A in US government. He had just spent the last few months watching hours a day of CNN. That and Law and Order was all he could get in the trauma hospital (during an election year) and she told him that he knew more than most adults about how it works.

    The barriers you are fighting now will be gone soon. All you have to do is pass that stupid class and get your diploma. Your grade in the class really does not matter too much to the college. Go into your next phase with an open mind and believe that they want you to succeed.--eak

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ekephart View Post
    Jessica, first of all, take a deep breath. Let your mom fight with your teacher tomorrow. All you need from high school is a diploma. After that, options exist. Also, your stats class does not have to be first semester.

    You have time to form a relationship with your Disability Services Representative (DSR) and that person will be your champion with teachers at the college level. You can more than fill your first year schedule with the other BS general ed stuff you will need. Get you DSR involved from the start so that they can help you in all areas of your college experience. They do this because they want to help you be successful, not put barriers in your way. They know the teachers and can point you to the teachers that will be the best fit for you.

    Your goals are not slipping away. Life starts all over after high school. Be honest with your DSR and get them involved in your class selections (both on campus and online). You will be surprised how different academic life can be.

    Ryan and I had to fight with his former high school in a big way. He was injured in March of his senior year and only needed the government class for his diploma. The other classes he was taking were just filler in his schedule. The principal sent me about 60 work sheets for Ryan to complete for grading for his diploma. At the time, he could not hold a pencil, let alone write in a box. He also had double vision so bad that reading was painful (literally). His neuro-psych doctor wrote her a letter suggesting that some one take the time to talk to him about his knowledge of US government. In order to complete the worksheets, he would require the reasonable accomodation of someone to read the text book to him, read the questions, and document his answers.

    He spent about two hours with his teacher and she ended up giving him an A in US government. He had just spent the last few months watching hours a day of CNN. That and Law and Order was all he could get in the trauma hospital (during an election year) and she told him that he knew more than most adults about how it works.

    The barriers you are fighting now will be gone soon. All you have to do is pass that stupid class and get your diploma. Your grade in the class really does not matter too much to the college. Go into your next phase with an open mind and believe that they want you to succeed.--eak
    Thanks eak, I appreciate it. I hope it works out. Mom told me maybe I should consider something other than OT; something where I wouldn't need the math and I had a bit of a meltdown.

    WG

  4. #4
    Senior Member TomRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,094
    Blog Entries
    1
    On my way through school, I found that explaining my problem to my instructor and reaching an solution working together usually did the trick. Often, they just didn't understand why I needed what I was requesting. Let your mom work on it a bit. I think you will get your way with the graphing software; it's not an unreasonable request. You sound like you are taking the right steps. Keep on that path and trust that you will get where you are going.
    Tom

    "Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    first, u gotta calm down. breathe. i thought ur math teacher was behind u on this and u had worked it out to take tests with him?

    2nd if ur taking online classes u may not get the support of the disability services ppl. hell i don't and i'm physically on campus. i succeed tho because i've gotten to know my profs and they treat u less like a number if ur physically present and engage them.

    3rd: most stats classes use minitab or matlab to do the work. it'll graph for u but u still need to understand what goes into the program to make sense. hence why u need to practice on ur own to understand if u make an equation of a line negative, it points down. etc
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    first, u gotta calm down. breathe. i thought ur math teacher was behind u on this and u had worked it out to take tests with him?

    2nd if ur taking online classes u may not get the support of the disability services ppl. hell i don't and i'm physically on campus. i succeed tho because i've gotten to know my profs and they treat u less like a number if ur physically present and engage them.

    3rd: most stats classes use minitab or matlab to do the work. it'll graph for u but u still need to understand what goes into the program to make sense. hence why u need to practice on ur own to understand if u make an equation of a line negative, it points down. etc
    Hi CrypticGimp,

    He appeared to be behind me and that has since changed. I'm not taking online university classes, just a few high school ones to upgrade. I do understand the information, I just can't physically put it on paper. I hope they use the Matlab software. I'm wondering about the Uni math classes as well. Thanks for the advice!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Hi CrypticGimp,

    He appeared to be behind me and that has since changed. I'm not taking online university classes, just a few high school ones to upgrade. I do understand the information, I just can't physically put it on paper. I hope they use the Matlab software. I'm wondering about the Uni math classes as well. Thanks for the advice!
    what do you mean by upgrading? arent you graduating in june?
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    what do you mean by upgrading? arent you graduating in june?

    I'll be participating in ceremonies and stuff, but I'm a few credits short and still need some classes for university.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    so a few credits short for high school or is it this for college/uni? i am wondering if taking a clep exam is more appropriate...
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    so a few credits short for high school or is it this for college/uni? i am wondering if taking a clep exam is more appropriate...
    High School.

Similar Threads

  1. How badly do you think your system...
    By Juke_spin in forum Life
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 01:48 PM
  2. leaking very badly at night
    By micky in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 04:02 PM
  3. How badly do you want a cure?
    By angel7 in forum Cure
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •