Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introducing StepAhead Australia

Introducing StepAhead Australia

Introducing StepAhead Australia

Diving accidents make the headlines but we rarely hear about the aftermath of a spinal cord injury. Imagine a youngster facing life in a wheelchair – perhaps losing control not only of his legs, but also bladder, bowel and sexual function. About eight new cases occur each week, mostly involving teenage boys.

“Oh to be a rat”
    Medicine offers little for people with spinal cord injuries. Yet laboratories are rife with experimental therapies. As the late Christopher Reeve once said, “Oh to be a rat”. Reeves played Superman in the blockbuster movie series. A fall from his horse left him paralysed from the neck down. But it was as a quadriplegic that he displayed truly superhuman strength: he used his celebrity muscle to push researchers and funding agencies to get therapies out of the lab and into the clinics.

George and Barbara Owen, the Founders of StepAhead Australia are key to our success and are cut from the same cloth as Christopher Reeve. Their force derives from parental devotion and from the combination of their professional skills. George and Barbara’s son Sam became a quadriplegic after a diving accident at home. George is an orthopaedic surgeon and Barbara, a former nurse. Barbara is a force to be reckoned with. Besides driving StepAhead and attending to Sam’s needs, she runs an organic cattle farm. George and Barbara Owen found out what a difficult task it is getting the medical establishment to think of spinal cord injury as a curable disease. It seemed like a suggestion from another planet. When George and Barbara founded the organisation in 1998 as the ‘Spinal Cord Society of Australia’ their focus was to establish local research laboratories here in Australia. In 2008 with progress and maturation of the organisation our focus has been redefined to translating international research into therapies as ‘StepAhead Australia’.

continue....

http://www.stepahead.org.au/pages/ab...who-we-are.php

I've been trying to get in touch with them after the New Zealand Spinal Cord Society suggested that I speak with them. I haven't had any luck.

Has anyone been in touch with them. I am specifically interested in these two projects they are working on http://www.stepahead.org.au/pages/re...t-projects.php.

If anyone knows about these projects/trials, I would love to hear more.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

I have exchanged a couple e-mail with them, but they take soooo long to reply. They said to me they had lost my e-mail and found it now, so it seems they have some "computer problems"...

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    I've been trying to get in touch with them after the New Zealand Spinal Cord Society suggested that I speak with them. I haven't had any luck.

Has anyone been in touch with them. I am specifically interested in these two projects they are working on http://www.stepahead.org.au/pages/re...t-projects.php.

If anyone knows about these projects/trials, I would love to hear more.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep trying.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

i had been following them with anticipation for years now, but I gave up. Their site never updates and their "project completion " dates are both way past due with no word... Zoki or malthouse: any thoughts or news?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

I rang but Sally was not there to answer my query so will try again later. I know and share the common frustrations we have but for what it's worth I think the work this mob does is on a par with the top two or three favorites of ours here at carecure. I note that Silviu Itescu is mentioned on one of the projects. This man has a brain the size of a planet and is the person behind the company mesoblast. If you have not heard of him or them google www.mesoblast.com and go to the board of directors section. I have a good feeling that he may have a bit to do with the lives of many millions of people into the not too distant future.

Just spoke to Sally and she said she received my email and was sorry for not updating stepahead website but will shortly with some new info she is waiting on as soon as she gets it.........Sorry guys but thats all I've got for now.

Thanks for checking malthouse! Sometimes all it takes is a little reminder. That is fantastic. We will be checking back into the site for updates. Thanks again for contacting Sally!

I thank you as well, malthouse... I have always had interest in Stepahead Australia
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming