Thread: Thrown out of my Power Chair

Thrown out of my Power Chair

On Saturday I was going through the living room on my small electric power chair, I knew the charge was beginning to run out but decided to take a quick trip to the toilet to pee before i sat on the couch and let my chair re-charge while I watched the V8 Supercars on the telly.

I mainly use a manual chair, but in between times use a small power transit chair.

So anyway, the back wheels of the power chair must have struck the edge of the floor mat slightly oddly and made the chair stop instantly and go into reset mode, it has happened before when the chair is close to needing a re-charge, but because (I think) I was slightly sitting up and forward it was enough to throw my weight and eject me out of the chair onto the floor.

Thankfully i landed on carpet, but did sustain a carpet burn on my forehead & badly bruised knees.

My wife quickly came in from her cross training session to help me, since I had not had a fall since i went into my chair 2 years ago we were both worried we would not get me up. But we were able to manouvre me up onto our low sofa and i was ok.

We actually both had a pleasant suprise, when I finally went into my wheelchair 2 years ago (Beckar's Muscular Dystrophy) I made a vow to push myself with upper body exersize and proper eating habits, it has paid off. My wife was able manhandle me much easier now than she ever could when I was still on my feet, also helped by the fact that my exersize and using my manual chair has indeed made my top half much stronger than it was when I was still walking.

If I take anything positive away from falling out of my electric wheelchair it would be that you must remain as fit as you can and be vigilant about your weight.

...and to keep my power chair charged, obviously!

So happy to hear you only got a few rug burns and nothing worse. Yes, you are so right about staying fit and watching weight for yourself. Sounds like the wife works out to?

Yep keeping it charged up might be a good idea..
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

this post needs pix of the rugburn on your forehead !!!!!!!!! j/k glad to hear your ok... ive taken a few headers..... last time the fire department came ....i heard them leave the fire station and shut off the sirens at the front gate .....pretty hilarious !!!!!!!

So glad that you are ok! I have only once fallen out of my chair and that's also in a mall! But didn't get hurt. Hope it wont happen again.

Didn't we have a thread lately about who had seat belts on there chairs and whether they used them?
    Glad to hear your ok.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

lol...hey thanks everyone.

yeah im cool, you know this power chair i have been using is starting to show some wear, ive been looking at some 4x4 chairs...wow!

the funny thing is i have a little rug burn on me knees a bit too, my wife thinks thats funny, she asked what have i been up to while i "work from home"...teehee

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    lol...hey thanks everyone.

yeah im cool, you know this power chair i have been using is starting to show some wear, ive been looking at some 4x4 chairs...wow!

the funny thing is i have a little rug burn on me knees a bit too, my wife thinks thats funny, she asked what have i been up to while i "work from home"...teehee
    Haha-gotta have humor to deal with these things.