Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: pressure sore advice

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    zillazangal- i called my pharmasist and she said the panafil is discontinued - do you know of any other close in comparisson ?
    Rats!! I guess I'll have to ration out our remaining tube. I don't know of any close substitute off hand, but panafil is chlorophyll based, it is a vivid bright green from plants so any sort of chlorophyll based cream should be a start (if there are any). Quite a few people have asked me about panafil and it doesn't seem to be available, so a bit later I'm going to do a search on the topic and see what turns up. I'll post it as a separate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Rats!! I guess I'll have to ration out our remaining tube. I don't know of any close substitute off hand, but panafil is chlorophyll based, it is a vivid bright green from plants so any sort of chlorophyll based cream should be a start (if there are any). Quite a few people have asked me about panafil and it doesn't seem to be available, so a bit later I'm going to do a search on the topic and see what turns up. I'll post it as a separate thread.
    Please do post if you find some thing close . I will try to search as well .
    trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never met

Thanks for the offer Ami -- wish I had communicated with ya before I saw my orthoped and now I'm in a full cast. We should get together soon though.

A few weeks ago when you suggested it, I brought up panafil to the wound clinic folk along with trying to determine any other alternatives, however, the wound care folks dismissed any further discussion. I'm probably the typical "bad patient" since I ask too many questions about my care.

I know that treatments need time to work, so I was careful to now switch anything up until now. I'm going to give the cast thing a few weeks and monitor progress.
    Daniel

I just wanted to post an update. I've been in a total contact cast with weekly cast changes for several weeks now. Although it still looks horrible, the cast has allowed the wound to close up and stop draining and new healthy tissue is forming underneath the angry looking tissue.
    Daniel

dan_nc,

If those wounds could speak, they would ask you to please use Microcyn on them!

Have you studied the Microcyn for Wound Care thread?

Be well,

Susanne
    I'm back on Facebook again--up and running!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000532232573

Here's the link for that thread Dan:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=136486

Welcome back, Leila. I didn't see much improvement with the product after trying it for about 3 months.
    Daniel

With these kinds of wounds, you have to be very persistent with the Microcyn/Vetericyn. Long soaks with thick gauze several times a day for the first week or so--till you start to see real improvement. And then stay with it till you achieve complete healing. I don't know how you applied it, but just spraying it on without proper debriding isn't going to be effective because it can't get past the necrotic tissue covering the wound.

Perhaps there is a wound care doctor in your area with expertise in Microcyn. If you want me to find out, just ask.

Be well,

Susanne

Those look much better Dan. Glad you are getting some healing.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Leila View Post
    With these kinds of wounds, you have to be very persistent with the Microcyn/Vetericyn. Long soaks with thick gauze several times a day for the first week or so--till you start to see real improvement. And then stay with it till you achieve complete healing. I don't know how you applied it, but just spraying it on without proper debriding isn't going to be effective because it can't get past the necrotic tissue covering the wound.

Perhaps there is a wound care doctor in your area with expertise in Microcyn. If you want me to find out, just ask.

Be well,

Susanne
    These wound care videos are hard to get in the US (confidentiality stuff): this one is from Europe. You can see how the doctor really soaks the wound, then debrides, then soaks some more. Then the soaking process goes on until healing is achieved. (Dermacyn is Microcyn in Europe, Russia, China, etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93hHGVMspM