Thread: New Manual Wheelchair Ideas Please

New Manual Wheelchair Ideas Please

Hi,

I am an 4 year post, incomplete, t2-t7 and I am currently in a power wheelchair and since I am only 49 years (now that I typed my age, I am not that young!) and I need some directive with finding a new manual chair that doesn't have a lot of drama transferring to and from. What I mean by that, the manual chair I had when I suffered my infarction, I had to manually take off both foot pedals and one of the arm rests.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

What was your previous chair? Sounds like you had a totally wrong chair. You should be in a rigid chair, without removable legs or armrests.

What about a TiLite ZR, ZRA, or TR; or a TopEnd Crossfire, to name a couple. Search the archives for some examples of other members chairs. You can even google, bing, whatever., the chair names using the picture links to find some examples.

Last edited by Brianm; 05-01-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Of those mentioned by Brian (all good chairs), since you were in a chair that didn't meet your needs before, I would suggest going with an adjustable chair this time such at the TiLite ZRa or the Aero Z (The aluminum version of the ZRa). This way you will still have adjustability of the rear seat height, minimal front seat height adjustability, COG (Center of Gravity), back rest angle and height are adjustable, footrest height, etc. Once you get this chair dialed in to the settings you like over the next year or so, you will be more comfortable ordering chairs such as the TiLite ZR or TR which do not have nearly as much adjustability.
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Sounds like what you had was a Medicare HCPCS K0004. Consider a K0005 or K0009.

Here's a list of some 5s & 9s I put together for myself last year. Other good manufacturers exist as well. (I was considering only manufacturers who had VA contracts.) Those listed are all rigid because that's what I wanted. Folding models are also available.

Attachment 40145

Manufacturer websites:
    AIR (aka Flight)
    Colours
    Invacare (aka Top End)
    KI
    Sunrise (aka Quickie)
    TiLite

also
    Able
    Icon
    Lasher
    Oracing
    Panthera
    RGK

they're are more, too

FYI:
    K0004 = hospital-grade chair intended for temporary use or transporting patients around by assistant within a healthcare environment, typically made of steel and available in only standard sizes with very few, if any, adjustments.

K0005 = the first level of custom fitted chair intended for permanent use, typically made of aluminum, personally fitted to the user's needs, with considerable available adjustments (if desired). Typically paid for by Medicare and standard insurance policies for permanent users.

K0009 = the ultimate level of custom fitted chair intended for permanent use, potentially very light, typically made of titanium or magnesium, personally fitted to the user's needs, with considerable available adjustments (if desired). Typically not paid for by Medicare and standard insurance policies except after special consideration and approval by committee. Often is paid for by premium insurance policies.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

If you need to get close to transfer you may want to consider one of the Tilite chairs with the flip up footrest which may help you get closer for some transfers. The Tilite Aero R is a light, rigid chair which provides the option of removable footrests if this may help you get closer for transfers. You mentioned not liking the hassles of removing footrests before, all the ultralight rigid chairs offer 85 degree front ends which brings the frame in close for transfers.