Thread: desperarely seeking help/advice

desperarely seeking help/advice

Dear Dr.Young (I'm really hoping that this reaches you and if I have posted in the wqrong place can anyone help?),

I suffered a T10 fracture/dislocation injury back in July 10 and due to a head injury which I sustained at the same time, (which was the more critical of the two) and so I didn;t have any surgery to straighten my spine or decompress my cord. I do not know why the original hospital didn't MRI scan me but they assumed, using a CT scan, that I suffered a complete sever. My spine has fused thus compressing my spinal cord still and causes me such a lot of pain due to the shortening of my spine. I was on high doses of morphine for well over 4 months and while I certainly asked I didn't push any issues but now my fight is back.

I struggled to even get an MRI scan some 8 months after my injury so I fear that doctors will not be too forthcoming with surgical options even if they do exist.

Has any one else had surgery so long after their accident to decompress or straighten or insert metal or what ever as my heart is breaking at facing this life sentence of pain and discomfort.

Thanks,

Bro

Quote Originally Posted by brockit79 View Post
    Dear Dr.Young (I'm really hoping that this reaches you and if I have posted in the wqrong place can anyone help?),

I suffered a T10 fracture/dislocation injury back in July 10 and due to a head injury which I sustained at the same time, (which was the more critical of the two) and so I didn;t have any surgery to straighten my spine or decompress my cord. I do not know why the original hospital didn't MRI scan me but they assumed, using a CT scan, that I suffered a complete sever. My spine has fused thus compressing my spinal cord still and causes me such a lot of pain due to the shortening of my spine. I was on high doses of morphine for well over 4 months and while I certainly asked I didn't push any issues but now my fight is back.

I struggled to even get an MRI scan some 8 months after my injury so I fear that doctors will not be too forthcoming with surgical options even if they do exist.

Has any one else had surgery so long after their accident to decompress or straighten or insert metal or what ever as my heart is breaking at facing this life sentence of pain and discomfort.

Thanks,

Bro
    Bro,

What country are you in? If you are in the United States, you may have some recourse through malpractice that they did not detect your spinal cord injury and did not do the surgery at the time of your accident. Based on that, you may be able to get some doctors to pay attention to you. I don't know about other countries such as the UK. However, the fact that they missed the diagnosis is something that you can use to get their attention.

If your spinal cord is compressed, there is evidence that you may benefit from a decompression although the likelihood that function will return decreases with the amount of time the spinal cord has been compressed. A doctor by the name of Hank Bohlman published a series of papers in the 1990's, reporting some functional return in patients who are decompressed months after spinal cord injury. You can find previous posts by me by searching for Bohlman on this site.

Wise.

Hi Wise,

Yes I am based in the UK. I was diagnosed with a spinal cord injury and my parents were told that due to my head injury I would have to wait to go to the nearest spinal centre, which I did. They did not do an MRI scan and assumed my cord was, and I quote (as I have read my notes), "obliterated" which it is in fact not. I requested an MRI which they delayed until I got an IUD removed by my GP (which any physician could have pulled out)some 9 months after my accident. I was deemed fit to transfer 4 weeks after my accident but waited 8 weeks for a place at my nearest orthopaedic hospital. When I got there I was told that it was too late to perform surgery.

I am going to seek legal advice as well as corrective surgery as I am in lots of pain and without a cavity I will not be able to benefit from stem cells when a cure is cracked.

I am not sure whether surgery can be done now.

Thanks for your prompt response, I appreciate it.

Broc