Thread: would squats stretch out or tighten up already tight hamstrings and calve muscles?

would squats stretch out or tighten up already tight hamstrings and calve muscles?

I'm a c2 incomplete quad for 20 years. I use a power chair. My right side is strongest so I favor that side and have some scoliosis but not terribly bad. I assume doing everything to the right adds to my tight leg, that has been constantly tight for about two years. But finally I started getting serious pain in my lower abdomen and back early mornings, referred pain from my tight leg.

I got an intense massage to loosen my right leg muscles up and it helped greatly. I do walk short distances with a walker once a day and that helps.

Before the pain kicked in over a month ago I was working on and progressing in physical exercise, one being squats.

I want to start again but am cautious thinking that squats might tighten my leg muscles. Please tell me if squats will tighten or loosen.

Thank you,
    Ian

squats work thighs, hamstrings, and glutes(butt)....doing them wont loosen the muscle....any muscle u work is contracting(tightening)... your hamstrings will tighten/shorten not only from sitting alot, but because of low abs and low back weakness .. your best bet is to stretch often
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Thank you. So squats will make my hamstrings tighter? that stinks. i know stretching is best but it's difficult when you can't do it yourself. i'm working on a pulley system that i can do it with. Do you know if fes helps loosen tight muscles? it seems to help me some.

also thank you for your exercise site, good motivation, i hope you keep developing the site.

ian

if u can do squats, do em... u can stretch ur hamstrings right from in your chair......just put your foot onto a chair, bed, sofa..then back your wheelchair up till your leg straightens...lean forward, head to knees, try to touch your toes... do 1 leg at a time... both legs up at same time is harder ..use a stretch-out-strap wrapped around your foot(ball of foot) and pull on it....will bring your toes towards you for a better stretch..on my exercise blog for sale if u need/cant find one
    - Rolling Thru Life -

It's funny you mentioned that because has I read your post my feet are elevated and a strap and rope with a handle to pull my foot up. I need to take a photo or start doing videos so others can suggest how to do it better or more effetively and help others like you are. But a question for right now, when I pull my foot / toes up to stretch out my leg, how long should I hold it up? How many sets / reps?

Thank you,
    Ian