Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: corset/binder

corset/binder

I've searched all older threads, but looking for new links on binders/corsets that people use. Especially interested in what the women of CC use since our bodies are different than mens.

This is what I've used off and on the past few years, but it rides up in the back creating a bow tie look that squeezes the skin. Very noticeable overall creating boxy look (I wear fitted tops often).

http://www.medicalstoredirect.com/da...inder-410.html

Maybe I've been wearing this one wrong. I wear it with the bottom at hip bones and the top is right under chest. Don't think I could get my jeans on with it that low ...also I cath through mitro throughout day.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

HI,

I work with a praedominantly male population, so I cannot offer much experience on the topic. Lets see what others have to say. You might also consider posting in the equipment forum as well.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    This is what I've used off and on the past few years,
    but it rides up in the back creating a bow tie look that squeezes the skin.

This type isn't good for all day wear nor does it provide good long-term support, especially if you're prone to very low bp or risk for extreme drop in bp.

The issues you've noted are the same for me when I've used this -
    "Bunching up" and "pinching" the skin (leaving welts at times). One reason it does this is due to not having 'stays' which helps to maintain shape. It can ride up if not positioned correctly or tight enough. The way the model is wearing it in the image is completely useless for abdominal support, as least for me and my needs (diaphragm support, breathing, bp/dizziness, torso support/balance, etc.). No matter if it's worn low or higher, this binder is overall just too weak for me.

I've gotten a few of these recently from the hospital (this is all they had) and they were good in giving some support while being gentle and easier on area and tubings etc., but like I said, not for the regular support I need. I'm still using this now as a 'lining' inside my regular binder (sm. 8" TETRA w/plastic stays - search will yield lotsa posts on it). I always use something between the binder and my skin for extra protection and padding in more boney areas. Even small is too long, so I take it in a bit to shorten it. It does come in 8" or 10" (height). My binder rarely rides up.

I'm not sure how well you'd be able to pull the TETRA binder on yourself if you wear it like I do, as it's pretty resistant and hard to pull. If I didn't shorten it, it would be easier to pull, but then it would be too loose and basically just 'on' me rather than tightly 'squeezing' my abdomen.

One more thing, I used to cut out a hole in the binder for the stoma, but now am trying something different - attached a loop and velcro to 'pull-up' lower part of the binder to expose the stoma for cathing, then pull back down to cover area when done (always use a pad inbetween to cover stoma).

Have you tried any of those corset type things from Fredricks? I wanted to try them but haven't gotten around to it.

Hey you, I never tried those at Frederick's yet. Is TETRA the brand of yours? I'll search here and online more. The binder above I believe is 9" WIDE and even that can be long cutting into right below breasts so needing a short width although I knew you were refering to length above.

Another friend w/ sci showed me corsets with stays on ebay she uses. They have the hook and eyes in front middle and she removes some of the stays. May try that too.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Here is the pic of the TETRA abdominal binder .

Scroll down to: 1242-0 8" Tetra Abdominal Binder w/post stays

I DO NOT wear it this low, and the stays are closer together after I sew it shorter. I have it sewn so the stays are along the back (on each side next to the spine) and lined up along the sides (right in frt of hip bones). So basically, I try to keep stays clear of boney prominences while positioning it so I make most use of the upright support of the stays.

The 8" goes along the bottom of my rib-cage, but not directly under it else it can get caught under the rib bones. This allows my ribs to expand and not constrict breathing.

I doubt the hook system will work for me, because they wouldn't allow me to secure it any tighter than where those hooks were. Binders usually stretch out and where I secure it usually changes over time. Hooks seem like they'd be tougher to put on, having to line it up and catch to hook one side to another. This would seem even hard if one was pulling a binder very tight at the same time.

My binder is a very basic simple one, but one I've used daily for decades. They used to have a shorter 'female' design, which included a curved cut-out for boobs. They were too short for me, and didn't really serve a purpose for me (). I don't think they make them anymore. You've seen pics of me in my binder, haven't you?

Any Orthotic Companies Making Corsets for Quads Anymore?

I have used a corset for almost 25 years. As a c-6 quad, the corset helps me breathe, increases my blood pressure, gives me postural support, and holds in my quad belly. Unfortunately, they are complicated to fit and I can no longer find an orthotic company that wants to do this type of custom work. Apparently, with all the modern materials available, sewing tough materials like stays or leather are not economically feasible anymore.

Women are especially difficult to fit because of their curves wheras me are straighter. My waist is tiny so fitting a corset that won't slide up from my hips to narrow waist is difficult. For years, my orthotist had a seamstress on staff that kept me in corsets. My life went in a tailspin when she retired. Most recently, a seamstress that sews all the costumes for the strippers here, made me a perfect fitting corset. Unfortunately, doing so, broke her sewing machine that wasn't designed for my "iron maiden". Naturally, she doesn't want to sew any more for me.

I am desperate to find an orthotics company or seamstress to make me a female quad corset. Not a binder. A binder is an elastic support band that may have some stays. They do not provide enough support for me and fold up shortly after I put them on. A corset is much sturdier with stays that help keep the corset from rising up from the hips and folding up at the waist causing welts and skin damage.

Without a proper fitting corset, I sit like a wet noodle. I'm dizzy and very uncomfortable. I've been researching all day to find a solution. Has anybody here found a corset? I haven't found any medical solutions - only binders. My past corsets have been ordered by the orthotist who then disasembles and removes the lace-up sides. He reinforces it with strong flexible stays, elastic bands to fit over my hips, and Velcro straps that I can adjust to the tightness I need. The picture I'm including shows what they look like.

I need to pull the velcro super tight across my lower abdomen against my paralyzed diaphragm to breathe better and to keep from being dizzy. I like the adjustability for my waist because my belly size changes a lot. Somedays it's just more swollen than others, throughing the fit of the corset out of wack. My caregivers go crazy trying to get this corset on sometimes.

The two worst things to me about quadriplegia are my bowel program and needing to wear this corset. But, since I have few other choices, I am in forever search for the perfect corset.

In being creative, I've found some corsetry companies ranging from boudoir boutique (and expensive) to this company that has a variety of more affordable models.

Dark Garden

Corsets 1-2-3

I'm afraid they are delicate and wouldn't hold up to my industrial strength 'Iron Maiden'. I would love to have something pretty like these corsets though. I also like how the bustier shapes the bust. I get a 'muffin top' between my corset and bra.

Please, if anybody knows an orthotist or seamstress, please refer to me. I just lost weight again and need a corset that will fit.

I'm wondering if the materials would be strong enough for support and to handle everyday use.

I still need to have some adjustments made for a stoma in my belly button that I CATH from.

I still haven't found anything. I know Hanger Orthotics will measure you for corsets, but I'm not sure if it would be custom enough for you. The picture you posted didn't show up for me.

* Has anybody made their own abdominal binder corsets? Or found somebody that makes them for you?

For the past years, I am always searching where and how to get a good fitting corset that will stay in place, is easy to put on, and can accommodate straight cathing from a stoma on my abdomen.

A Google search just led me to a wholesaler that sells corsets and I think I've found a model that would work well. It is the 15 inch thoracic support model. At $36.00, t would be a bargain if the cost to adapt it wasn't too high.

http://www.tartanortho.com/thoraco_d...l#anchor560518

My insurance won't cover binders and my orthotist charges around $400.00 per corset.

Any resource ideas of where to source corsets or how to find somebody with an industrial sewing machine to adapt it?

Corset/binders for female quads that CATH through stoma

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    I've searched all older threads, but looking for new links on binders/corsets that people use. Especially interested in what the women of CC use since our bodies are different than mens.

This is what I've used off and on the past few years, but it rides up in the back creating a bow tie look that squeezes the skin. Very noticeable overall creating boxy look (I wear fitted tops often).

Maybe I've been wearing this one wrong. I wear it with the bottom at hip bones and the top is right under chest. Don't think I could get my jeans on with it that low ...also I cath through mitro throughout day.
    I don't know if you are still looking for answers on corsets, but here's something for stomas:

My quad friend suggested I get a binder from Nu-Hope, a company that specializes in ostomy products. *She wears it under her "sturdy" corset.

We both wear corsets that look something like the thoracic one in this link:

(sorry I don't know how to get web image addresses when using an iPad to show you the pic in this post )

I noticed they will customize; so I'm thinking maybe I could send a corst for them to install an opening. I don't want to wear two binders.

http://nu-hope.com/beltlit.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    * Has anybody made their own abdominal binder corsets? Or found somebody that makes them for you?

For the past years, I am always searching where and how to get a good fitting corset that will stay in place, is easy to put on, and can accommodate straight cathing from a stoma on my abdomen.

A Google search just led me to a wholesaler that sells corsets and I think I've found a model that would work well. It is the 15 inch thoracic support model. At $36.00, t would be a bargain if the cost to adapt it wasn't too high.

My insurance won't cover binders and my orthotist charges around $400.00 per corset.

Any resource ideas of where to source corsets or how to find somebody with an industrial sewing machine to adapt it?
    Double check with your insurance company. When I was employed and covered by a major insurance company, I was originally told by a representative on the phone that abdominal binders were not covered. However, upon further investigation, I found that sacral-lumbar supports made without elastic and velcro were covered items.

I have a suprapubic stoma. I don't like the elastic/velcro supports, because I can't keep them in place and the velcro wears out long before the elastic. I have been using the one pictured below and it has worked well for me. I got it through an orthotist and insurance paid for it.

All the best,
    GJ