Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRPF's Research Consortium on Spinal Cord Injury met in Zurich, Switzerland last month

CRPF's Research Consortium on Spinal Cord Injury met in Zurich, Switzerland last month

CRPF's RESEARCH CONSORTIUM MEETS IN ZURICH

CRPF's Research Consortium on Spinal Cord Injury met in Zurich, Switzerland last month. Every year, the Consortium members -- among the world's foremost neuroscientists -- meet to debate and discuss the latest advancements in spinal cord injury research.

This year's workshop gave the attendees a detailed account of the process that begins with a spinal cord injury -- from the immediate medical response to rehabilitative treatments. The attendees found the overview extremely beneficial, as many of them work on one narrowly-defined area of spinal cord injury research or treatment.

The first presenter was Dr. Othmar Trentz, Head of the Department of Emergency Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich. Dr. Trentz explained, step-by-step, what is involved with the initial treatment of a spinal cord injury, including:

-- Performing a complete neurological exam;

-- Monitoring and stabilizing the patient's blood pressure and breathing; and,

-- Treating the different types of shock commonly associated with these injuries.

Dr. Trentz also explained the controversy over immediate operation post-injury. Recent studies indicate some benefits in delaying surgery. For more information, click here:
    http://crpf.causesthatmatter.org/L/w...cfm?MX=104&H=0

Scientists are currently researching these opposing theories.

Following Dr. Trentz was Dr. Volker Dietz of the Institute for Rehabilitation and Research at the University Hospital Balgrist, Zurich. Dr. Dietz's presentation focused on a new locomotion machine he uses in his patient rehabilitation. His machine, only one of two like it in the world, mechanically moves the patient's legs. In the more common method, known as assisted-treadmill therapy, a therapist moves the patient's legs by hand.

This machine has proven more reliable than therapists, and has shown improved function in shorter times than therapist-assisted treadmill therapy.

The final presenter was Dr. Xavier Lataste of the Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Novartis, Basel. Dr. Lataste discussed clinical trials, which are of great importance but also present many challenges.

For example, most clinical trials begin with animal subjects. The leap from animals to humans, however, is a great one. Due to the pharmacological difference between animal subjects and humans, almost 66R0of the therapeutics that work with animals do not pass initial human trials. While seemingly discouraging, these "failures" teach significant lessons about the human neurosystem. Each and every step within a clinical trial is a discovery.

By attending these three presentations, the members of CRPF's Research Consortium gained a larger context for their work, and a deeper understanding of the long road faced by someone who has suffered a spinal cord injury.

Learn more about CRPF's groundbreaking research programs:
    http://crpf.causesthatmatter.org/L/w...cfm?MX=104&H=0

Thanks

Robin. Good article.

I wonder if the walking machine mentioned (one of two in the world) is the "lokomat" that was being tested recently in Chicago?

I also wonder what clinical trials, specifically, the article is referring to?

Dr Y, any insight into this conference / article and the subject matter?

sorry guys,

As much as I respect CR for what he's been thru and going thru, also the fact that he put SCI more on the forefront for research then anyone in the last 20 years, yet I have to say all this guy seems to talk about is ESC. I thought he said he was going to bring all these researches together and try to encourage a unifying atmosphere so all these new therepies could find their compliment to one another. I wrote him or whoever takes care of their incoming emails about my concerns but never heard back.Everytime he speaks its the same thing. I for one am tired of it, maybe he's getting bad advice but ESC is not the only way to go and it hasn't been proven it's even the safest way to go.I can't imagine he doesn't know about all the other possibilities so why does he stay on the same horse, no pun intended.My hope is more in line with adult stem cells and the many other therapys being tested along with the bridging material. My oh my, there is so much more in terms of other treatments as most all of you well know. The guy seems to be putting all his eggs in one basket. I hope I'm wrong but that's most of what I've seen coming out of CRs corner.Now you can all take turns kicking me in the a#$. Hehe

The reason CR speaks up about ESC is that ESC research is being challenged. CR goes where the biggest challenges are, and give his support there. Remember, earlier he was lobbying to increase NIH funding.

CR Consortium

I, for one am disappointed in this consortium, at least what is listed in this article. Maybe I just envision too much, especially what I feel would be a productive consortium. I do feel the mechanical therapist is real interesting, as I have wished for years to have some kind of device that would put your legs through range of motion exercises. Any chance of an affordable home therapy model? As upbeat and optimistic as I remain, I strongly feel there must be better consortiums than the one reported here.

http://www.userpage.fu-berlin.de/~bhesse/e_index.html I found this web site from Germany this might have been what they were talking about new treadmill machine. Click on gait trainer new

CR needs to stop screwing around and use his status more wisely. there is no proof esc cure sci. there is plenty proof other therapies will yield much recovery. CR need to push these therapies into use and start curing people now. once this happen, the other therapies will start coming together. when the cure comes, i bet esc wont be part of it. CR is great, but he needs to wake up.

I agree with wcrabtex,CR is only defending the use of stem cells at the moment because it is in such danger of being limited or banned. I am quite sure that if OEG's were being threatened like stem cells, he would be defending its use as well.

Gee- that's a fuckin newsflash, scientists discuss the long road for SCI patients. good work!

Switzerland clinical trials ON - great!