Thread: C5-6 incomplete

C5-6 incomplete

Hi I'm a relatively new sci jan 30 if this year always had full sensation since the injury and have some movement in the right leg very little in the left also my right leg as mentioned if stronger than the left and my left arm is stronger than the right can I expect my leg to get stronger is anyone similar? Thanks

Hi "Scrap,"
    Welcome to the Care Cure Community. There is a lot of information here and experienced folks to talk to and learn from.

Generally speaking, and surely you have heard this in rehabilitation, every injury is different and each person has a unique response to the injury, healing, and rehabilitation. Hope you continue to do well in your rehab and post rehab period.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 05-01-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Welcome to the forum. As GJ says, every situation is different. You're still in the early days of recovery (and doing well, it seems to me) - I wish you all the best and know you'll find good support here.

Scrap, Welcome to a wealth of information.

As an incomplete injury, your story has not been written. Hard work is the key. Since you have full sensation and some level of movement, all bets are off as far as where you will be in a year (or two, or three) is concerned.

Where are you doing rehab? Are you home yet? Did you have any other injuries? All these things impact your recovery. A model rehab facility is where you need to be. They know SCI like general rehab facilities do not.

What is the status of your upper body at this time?

AS GJ told you, no two incomplete injuries are the same. I have a son who is an incomplete C-2 and is working on walking despite the doctors (what do neurosurgeons know) that he would never come off a vent, let alone go home. He is at home, has returned to school, and right now is playing some RPG game (like Warcrack but not) on his computer. Not bad for a kid who was never supposed to have any quality of life.--eak

Keep working and celebrate the small victories. They will keep you motivated. Every time you get discouraged, think back to where you were a month ago. Chances are, you will see that you have improved and you will keep working. Rehab is a journey, not a destination.--eak

HI,

I absolutely agree with the above comments. Being such a new injury, there is much that is unknown. Sme people see return for up to a few years post injury. Focus on getting strong consistent rehab, work hard, keep your spirits and support up and you will likely still be seeing return in many areas.
    I wish you the best!

AAD

Welcome. Glad you are having some recovery. Every injury is different & there are no real answers. Just hope for the best & be willing to accept the bad is the best info I can offer. Best of luck!

Well thanks a whole lot for the info I really appreciate it but to answer done questions I'm ding rehab at the vamc ls jolla and have full range if mouton upper body and s really excellent girlfriend that's the best

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Hi I'm a relatively new sci jan 30 if this year always had full sensation since the injury and have some movement in the right leg very little in the left also my right leg as mentioned if stronger than the left and my left arm is stronger than the right can I expect my leg to get stronger is anyone similar? Thanks
    welcome to CCC, I also have a c5/c6 incomplete. My right side is my weak with 20% return, I also have a drop foot on that side. my left I have 70% return. I walk with the assistance of a quad cane. I have no sensitivity. I have been injured since Jan. of '06. I have not gotten any stronger but have been able to keep fit. I am not sure if you can walk any but I am up to about 200'-250' before I have to sit. If we are in a shopping mall I take my chair. I can stand for about twenty minutes befor the strain in my lower back is to much.

If there is any way you can get to a model SCI rehab facility, go for it as fast as you can. They have so much to offer you and the geographic inconvenience is more than worth it. I see that you are in doing rehab at a V.A. facility but talk to your case manager. See if a transfer is possible. The only one I really know about is in Atlanta but others may also have living facilities on site for family while inpatient and for patient/caregiver when in day program.

You are doing great for such a short period of time but the right facility will help maximize your rehab.--eak