Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $200 for ADI carbon fiber seat mounting hardware !!!

$200 for ADI carbon fiber seat mounting hardware !!!

Sportaid just recently started to carry ADI Carbon Fiber seat for $300 and another $200 if you want the mounting hardware. I mean it is ridiculous to charge an extra $200 just for the simple piece of hardware.
    Shouldn't it MUST comes with the seat itself. People who want to buy the carbon seat like me OF COURSE want the mounting hardware as well COZ for sure we don't have one and need one.
    IS it Sportaid or ADI came up with this brilliant price structure to squeez out our wallet. I do want to get one but this extra $200 for sure a put off for me.

I already own an ADI back and LOVE the idea of being able to buy just the shell and reuse my mounts and only spend $300 for a new shell.

Eta: not sure why the premium over the Roho versions, though. I wonder how significantly different the products are?
    Last edited by DaleB; 04-30-2011 at 06:35 AM.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

For sure it's a good idea to be able to just buy its shell or seat if they already own one and reuse the mounting hardware. But, through this forum I see that majority of people use ADI back but not its carbon seat. So, for first time buyer of ADI carbon fiber seat is sure a put off when they see it is an extra $200 for its hardware.

Doh! Yeah, I understand what you mean. Seems odd to sell them separate.

I have the ADI seat with no hardware. I took a piece of clear lexan and marked the bolt holes on my chair and pre-fit the lexan piece. Then just transferred the lexan template over the ADI seat and drilled those holes. I used the same bolts that held on my old canvas seat. Its plenty stiff, no need for the extra bracing. Some people just velcro the seat on also.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    I have the ADI seat with no hardware. I took a piece of clear lexan and marked the bolt holes on my chair and pre-fit the lexan piece. Then just transferred the lexan template over the ADI seat and drilled those holes. I used the same bolts that held on my old canvas seat. Its plenty stiff, no need for the extra bracing. Some people just velcro the seat on also.
    The Velcro solution (totol1 patent pending?!?) is great! I didn't know the ADI seat pan was thick enough. Do you happen to know how thick and whether it is a laminate or solid CF?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    The Velcro solution (totol1 patent pending?!?) is great! I didn't know the ADI seat pan was thick enough. Do you happen to know how thick and whether it is a laminate or solid CF?
    I think it's solid, like the back shell.

My Halls chair has a DragonPlate laminate (birch wood core) carbon fiber pan and it's Velro'd on totol1-style. Works perfectly! I would never do it differently.

Called ADI to try and purchase the fixed hardware for their 15" Low Carbon Back, mine came with the adjustable. They quoted me $171. Thought that was kinda high considering...

3/16 thick
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post

BRASWELLF5, mind to share your design with some pictures. Me too considering just buy ADI seat without its mounting hardware and might try Toto's design of using velcro but would be glad to see how's your design as well. Might save this $200 for good.