Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reduced steering company?

Reduced steering company?

I know of the two main companies, Drive Master in NJ and Creative Controls in Michigan. Both of these want to sent it with a back-up steering system (Govt. required) but I ain't having none of that. I just need my rack and pinion reduced 50% (maybe).

Isn't there somebody else in Pennsylvania? IF I go this route I need to find a company to just reduce my steering and not try and sell me all the other crap. My own mechanic will do my install also. I don't believe I will need it but just in case I want to have everything lined out.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Do you want to quicken your steering so it takes less turns to go lock to lock? Circle track racers and rally cars do this all the time. Here's a product that does it. http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/prod...roductID/39252

Just look up local dirt track, sports car race shop. They have quickeners/reducers. You can also put on a bigger or smaller steering wheel.
    I went to a 10 inch in my jeep, from 16.

Wait. I just looked at your profile and you use to race winged cars and you don't know this? What you one of those size 4 hat and size 14 shoe guys? Dam drivers!!!
    Last edited by baldfatdad; 04-30-2011 at 02:14 PM.

LOL, no not a steering quicken device. Reduced effort steering. A lot of quads need this, usually 50% reduced. 0% can be real dangerous and for high level quad drivers. I have a new truck coming and I am not sure if I will need to reduce it 50% or not. I don't think so but looking for a company to modify my rack and pinion just in case.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    LOL, no not a steering quicken device. Reduced effort steering. A lot of quads need this, usually 50% reduced. 0% can be real dangerous and for high level quad drivers. I have a new truck coming and I am not sure if I will need to reduce it 50% or not. I don't think so but looking for a company to modify my rack and pinion just in case.
    Check out this pdf.

http://asu-auto.com/UserFiles/65File35402.pdf
    Every time that I look in the mirror, All these lines on my face getting clearer
    The past is gone, It went by, like dusk to dawn, Isn't that the way, Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Yeah, I know nobody knows, Where it comes and where it goes, I know it's everybody's sin, You got to lose to know how to win

Written by; Steven Tyler in 1965 @ age 17

^^(A)^^

Interesting seeing all the different steering variations. I may have opened up a lot of confusion here. Reduced effort steering is something the mobility dealers have done every day. The problem is the government requires a back-up steering system to also be installed in case the steering ever fails. That means a lot of wiring, switches and an extra pump to be installed. That is not going to happen on my new truck! I'm just looking so someone besides the above mentioned companies who can do it without selling me the back-up system. I'll send them my rack and pinion and they will do their thing and send it back to me.

I read a long time ago that a company in Pennsylvania did it for like $800. The dealer price with the back-up that they are required to install is $3,500.
    Pete C6/'97

A quickener put in upside down, slows, eases the steering. Rusty Walllace of Nascar fame was pretty famous for this. The crew would tell him he sawed on the wheel, even showed him pictures. He didn't believe them and couldn't stop doing it, so they would change the steering so he could wiggle away and the thing didn't pay much attention, because of the upside down ratio. Just a gear ratio thing. What truck has a rack and pinion steering? I though most trucks were worm gear.
    The quickener/slower boxes go in the steering shaft before it gets to the gear that operates the steering box or rack.
    If your truck has a worm gear box, you can get after market stuff with different ratios or progresive ratios.
    If you just put a bigger pully on the pump it makes it easier. I did this for my 84 year old Ma. Trouble is the car has no "road feel". But she's almost blind so she doesn't know where she's going anyhow.
    I don't know why they quit making the steering easy. My 84 jeep takes no effort at all. I know the guys with the newer model jeeps put the old pumps on them. Same with my buddies 56 caddy. His 3 year old grand kid can spin the wheel like a top.

Chevy Silverados have it. Back in they day that is exactly what they did, sure was easy. Its not an issue of doing it, I just am not going to buy all the other crap the government mandates.
    Pete C6/'97

I'm in the same dilemna, got a new ryno truck coming next.. I need zero-effort steering & brakes.
    I've been driving(two full size ford vans) over twenty years. I've never once had a instant where back-up ever kicked-in.....
    But because of NMEDA and goverment reg's i've got to spend $6000.00 instead of about $2000.00, that sux!
    Lance

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    Chevy Silverados have it. Back in they day that is exactly what they did, sure was easy. Its not an issue of doing it, I just am not going to buy all the other crap the government mandates.
    I just got a Chrysler T & C. Vocational Rehab had ordered the 50% reduced steering. At 50%, I can barely feel any resistance to steering and cannot imagine a vehicle with 0%. The company I used picked up my van on a Thursday and returned it the following Monday and everything was done. I do have an electrical backup in case I lose engine power while I am moving. I have a button to press but don't know if it activates automatically if needed. My modifications were made in Atlanta and I believe they said a new steering rack was installed. (Vocational Rehab said this was a $3000 addition.)

Good luck with yours.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne