Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you estimate van trade-in value?

How do you estimate van trade-in value?

I'm getting a new van...I'm trading in my '04 Dodge Caravan with about 115,000 miles on it. I'll be taking my hand control and swivel seat into the new van but it has the full conversion.

I did a look up on just the van itself on kbb, comes to probably about $5k. So what's the value of the conversion? I believe the original conversion cost about $25k. I would think that places my van in the range of $20k. It still runs great, never had a significant repair or any accident.

Thank you!
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Since the conversion part of your van is no longer under warranty I think the idea that you could get nearly the entire price back is probably unrealistic. I wouldn't pay that much for a conversion with no coverage left on it.

Blog Entries
    For a 2004, It's probably in the range of 8 to 10 thousand. Most dealers won't want to give you anything for the conversion. If that proves to be the case, you may want to try selling it on Ebay.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

The economics of used adaptive equipment is interesting. Often the original price is very inflated because it is paid for by insurance or workman's comp. The people who are looking to buy used equipment are usually doing so because they don't have insurance. So in most cases the price the used equipment will be able to sell for will seem quite low compared to the original price. Not saying this specifically about your van, just a general observation

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    For a 2004, It's probably in the range of 8 to 10 thousand. Most dealers won't want to give you anything for the conversion. If that proves to be the case, you may want to try selling it on Ebay.
    I would say $8k would be on the high end. The person buying it may have to add another swivel chair and hand controls, which would add additional costs to the vehicle.

Google used vans similar to yours and you'll get an idea of how much they run. Of course you'd have to subtract the cost of a used driver's seat and hand controls.

I would guess in the 6k-7k range, remember if your trading it in the dealer has to leave room for his overhead and hopefully make a profit.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

http://www.bertsmobility.com/accessa...try-10115.html

http://www.bertsmobility.com/accessa...cle-10104.html

These are dealer prices, but gives you an idea what you get as far as warranty, mileage etc for the $.

in '04, I bought a'96 Ford van conversion for $7.500. Was the only one I could find at the time in rural Ark. 108 k miles. Still running good with regular maintainance, and glad to have it.

Thanks guys. I think I should be able to get at least $8k I hope. Apparently it's worth $5k without conversion so I would think $3k would be a great deal for a converted van with an in-floor ramp no?
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Quote Originally Posted by divin'darren View Post
    Thanks guys. I think I should be able to get at least $8k I hope. Apparently it's worth $5k without conversion so I would think $3k would be a great deal for a converted van with an in-floor ramp no?
    probably.

www.disableddealer.com - go research what comparable vans are going for.