Thread: Boston springtime

Boston springtime

I met a friend for lunch today, and since it was such a perfect day we decided to have a picnic at the Public Gardens in Boston. I only had my iPhone for pics, but here are a few. The duckling statues are because of the book 'Make Way for Ducklings" which is set in Boston. The tulips were gorgeous, but there were also endless beds of pansies. It was a very nice place for a picnic!

Beautiful! It was a nice day up in the Merrimack Valley as well!

Beautiful. Spring is nice. I saw the tulips in our back yard are coming out too, but not so fare as these
    Last edited by woman from Europe; 04-27-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Beautiful! I have always loved the duck statues ..... Make Way For Ducklings is a favorite!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Nice Eileen! Isn't it nice to seen green, instead of white? lol, hooray for Spring!

Thank you. One of the things that cracked me up was that the baby ducklings don't usually have bonnets on, but someone decided that for Easter each duckling would have a little floral bonnet. Amazingly, no one has stolen them! It is SO nice to finally, finally have warm weather after the endless winter here. I intend on maximizing my "outdoor time" as much as possible now that it is here!

Cute little bonnet story. I never knew where the story originated. I think it is even older than me!
    It is snowing in Minneapolis right now and tha tis a couple hundred miles south.
    We are having one of the coolest springs in recorded history.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Cute little bonnet story. I never knew where the story originated. I think it is even older than me!
    It is snowing in Minneapolis right now and tha tis a couple hundred miles south.
    We are having one of the coolest springs in recorded history.
    Sorry your weather is still so cold Linda. Today was unnaturally warm here, hitting 80 degrees! Of course since this is New England tomorrow is going to be a whole different ball game, with thunderstorms and significantly colder. The 'Make Way for Ducklings' is a Boston story that has been known for at least a couple of generations. Every spring (right around Mother's Day) they actually have a procession in Boston of little kids dressed up as baby ducklings. They walk around the place I posted the photographs of and have their pictures taken sitting on the bronze moma duck. It is hysterically cute to see all of these two to five year olds in their duckling costumes, complete with bright orange web feet and beaks in procession.

As a child I used to love to go to Boston and visit my Auntie Connie and Aunte Jocie... we children used to call her Auntie Jucey, and later my Auntie Mae and go to ride the swan boats. It was so much fun and so pretty.
    Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
    Franklin D. Rosevelt

Even our real pair of Mallards have not been here since Easter. There is a drainage ditch in the other side of the block and our area might be a quick get away to just sit in the yard. No kids or dogs or cars.
    This spring is making me cranky and crabby.