Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by cljanney View Post
    I thought I'd never ride again after what I put my family and friends through after my wreck (which my right arm is still paralyzed from), but getting back on a bike was one of the best things I did to get my sense of spirit back.

Five years after my accident I was cleaning out my garage and getting ready sell my old '74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado that I'd had forever. Then a buddy sent me an article about some crazy Englishman who rode a three mile wheelie, with one arm (amputated). So I figured I'd give my old bike one last go before we parted ways. I had it set up to ride left handed (which my old mechanic reluctantly did and thought was insane), rode the 20 miles home from the shop, and kept on riding the 400 miles to San Francisco from LA. Best few days I'd had in 5 years since I wrecked!

It's still a struggle for me to feel comfortable about it. Every part of my intellect realizes the risk and probability of seriously crashing again (which is dramatically heightened riding with one arm), but my spirit is like a caged beast and yearns for it. So spirit wins.

If you're going to do it, do it with all your faculties informed, so if anything happens you'll have no regrets.

Ozymandias (an old CC member) came to CC after wrecking his bike and didn't want to live with the aftermath of his injuries and took his own life after a valiant attempt at making it work. He was the only other CC member that I had a close sense of connection with, and I supported his perspective (and still do).

Do yourself a favor, if you really want to ride, read Clayton's (Ozymandias) online forum discussion that captures his wanting to ride, to his getting a bike, to his eventual suicide.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

I promise you, you will not regret the read, regardless of any choice to ride or not.
    His posts are only up to page 14, the other 69 pages are peoples remarks about the impact of reading is story had on them.

and here's the book he wrote about his eventual end.
    WOW! What a story!!! I have been reading for days on that site put Ozymandias old CC posts.. What a brilliant guy!!
    I thought for sure he would have been able to move on. I agree with so many things he wrote. I my-self was becoming very bitter. I still cant believe he committed suicide. Wondering how did he did it. I may have to purchase that book.
    Thanks

wait i just clicked on that link (book), to purchase it and I just realized it the actual book...lol
    ill be reading tonight...... thanks again
    Last edited by debbier; 05-01-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I'll let you know after this weekend after my first ride back on a motorcycle was.......my biggest fear is that I either cannot do it, or that I simply do not enjoy it.
    Well??? Did you do it?? I hope so!! Post some pics

some more pics

Looks like there was a lot to see Debbier. I'm a sucker for a Carmaro.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Looks like there was a lot to see Debbier. I'm a sucker for a Carmaro.
    Oh yea tons and tons of stuff. But my legs started to hurt from walking so much. I love vintage muscle cars.. They also had some old barbie dolls,,,I purchased a few at great prices. I would just love to move to PA it's so beautiful out there.

I loved to ride. I put almost 50k miles on 2 bikes in the few years prior to my crash. Got my first bike at 13, a Suzuki RM125. What fun!!

I tried once post injury, didn't like it at all. I'm definitely of the once bitten, twice shy crowd.

Fwiw, I got crunched sitting at an intersection waiting to turn left. Run over from behind by a 19 year old yapping on a cell phone, speeding, with no car insurance. It is definitely not always speed! Often, it is not up to us, in the least.

I knew Ozy/Clayton as an AB, personally, from the early ADV Rider days. His trip was the envy of many! He is still missed.

Sure, it is fun, but no denying the risk is often bigger than we can appreciate just going in to it.

Here's my bike and the car. Yup, the kids plate says 'Drop Em'.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I'm dreaming about motorcycle too. But i think it's rather dangerous.

Dale, Do you mind me asking if that driver received any punishment?
    Quite a picture.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbier View Post
    He did it!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by debbier View Post
    as Donno said, yes I did (just).... you should try it someday, it is fun.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=153862