Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: A pressure sore :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A pressure sore :(

See below, goofed up photo formatting first time.
    Last edited by zillazangel; 04-27-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Unhappy

So this sore just appeared last night, it came totally out of the blue. I had rolled him over about 6 hours before THIS appeared and the skin was absolutely fine then.

The thumb in the photo is mine, there for reference of size. Its directly on/across on his myocutaneal flap surgery scar (11 years ago). The pen marking around it is so I can tell if the redness increases.

I just don't know how this happened, nothing unusual lately, it just happens I guess. :-(

It's in a spot such that to take all pressure off, I have to roll him over VERY far on his right side, which is extremely extremely painful for extended periods of time. True to his nature, he doesn't complain at all, he knows it has to have all pressure off. But I still feel really badly for him.

Please send healing energy!! And I'll post updates.

ETA: I finally figured out how to resize!! Now to delete my duplicate post.....
    Last edited by zillazangel; 04-27-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Does it blanch at all if you hold pressure on it for 3 or 4 seconds? If it spreads, and/or is warm to the touch, it may be cellulitis, and you need to get keflex or something akin quickly.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Hard to say with blanching, but I don't think so - at least not alot. But it is warm to the touch and that worries me. At the first sign of the redness creeping out I'll take him to the ER. I've had my eyes on it every hour (Chad has started saying "IT HASN'T CHANGED!" before I even look at it, he's sick of me peeking under the sheets under hour (or more) lol).

This happened once about 6 years ago- nothing then 4 hours later a horrible looking sore. And it went south fast - had to go to ER and ended up on vancomycin for sepsis! So I'm highly paranoid. I'm watching his temp too.

ETA: temp still normal, redness at same levels. The skin does blanch to the touch exept in the very middle where it is very dusky/dark (the part I'm most worried about). I think that he had to have had that skin fold over the scar, causing a pressure sore. That's the only explanation I can come up with at the moment. He has gotten very thin in recent years, so he has zippo butt fat at all, and these are the consequences we're seeing now I think. For the past year or more I've been trying to stuff him full of as many calories as I can!!
    Last edited by zillazangel; 04-27-2011 at 02:59 AM.

To me, that looks like something that needs to be seen right away. Ugh, I am so sorry this has happened!

Oh no. ): My heart just sinks seeing the thread title Ami. Please keep us posted.

Bonnette, I'm not sure who I'd take him to. He can't even get out of his chair onto a table at our regular doctor office, plus while they are great for general stuff, they are clueless on pressure sores (and will readily admit it, it's not a knock against them). So even if he could get onto a table, there's not much point. But I will not hesitate to take him to the ER if it starts looking worse, bursts, or if his fever spikes. It has been essentially unchanged for about 24 hours now.

*worry worry worry*

I know, primary care docs can be just clueless about what to do (or even what they're looking at), and that's IF the patient can get onto the table...ER docs and nurses seem much more on top of things. It is really awful to be on the horns of this kind of dilemma, I empathize and am glad to hear that there has been no change for the past 24 hours.

Edited to add: It looks almost like a burn...is it possible that he has been sitting on or near a computer cord, or something like that?

I'm really sorry to read this Ami.

I have no advice, but will be keeping my fingers crossed for you both.

Hi,

The picture is not good on my computer. It looks like reddened patch without skin open. Are you sure he didnt lay on something? I would keep monitoring as you are-checking temp, check for warmth, size and any change. Keep all pressure off, though I know it will be difficult. Marking the size with a pen is a great idea. You are doing all the right things. For any change, I would take him toe he ED. Keep us posted.

AAD