Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to make a our own anal irrigation system, help!!!

Want to make a our own anal irrigation system, help!!!

So getting no where with Presteen about the irrigation system and are going to make our own.
    I have a rectal tube that is used for barium enema studies for radiology and an enema bag used to give HHH enemas. Would love some advise on how to use this, how much water etc. What ever you can share, PLEASE!

Blog Entries
    Is your physician okay with this? The last person I knew of who used this type of thing passed on in the 1970s. Proceed with caution, the colon can easily be damaged.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

I bought the peristeen from austraila and I used it a couple times then went back to enemeeze. It's just too messy and too much work for not much more results.

how did you buy the preisteen? We cant get a hold of one. Its been 3 years of blow outs 2 to 3 times a week if not more. Dont know how much more he can take. Have tried all the usual stuff nothing is working.

And the physician is worthless. The GI doc he went to for it told my husband " dont bother coming back here there is nothing I can do for you"

Like others here I ordered my Peristeen from Australian Home Nursing Supply.

I've had great success with the Peristeen, which I've been using for about the past 2 months. Previously, I had been doing my own version of trans-anal irrigation using a urinary catheter attached to a syringe and filling up my bowel. The BIG difference with the Peristeen for me is that the anal catheter has an inflatable balloon cuff, like a Foley catheter, which helps to retain the water being instilled into the rectum. It's also much more efficient in terms of total emptying and time-to-completion (about an hour because I'm super thorough).

I fill my bowel with the entire 1000cc's of water and wait for my bowel to empty. I do some digital stim as well to move things along. I refill ("rinse and repeat") twice.

I do my BP every other day. I've never had an issue with accidents, and now with the Peristeen I empty out even more than before.

Hi,

It sounds like the old "holding tap water enema" that was used many years ago. The problems that have been associated with this is that 1000cc is a huge volume of water to hold at one time and difficult to do, especially for people who have poor muscle control of their rectums, which is often the case in SCI. Also, there is a potential for water intoxication and large amounts to be absorbed in the colon and then to other body parts. Finally, there were many more successful easier products developed that eventually became a more popular choice.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hi,

It sounds like the old "holding tap water enema" that was used many years ago. The problems that have been associated with this is that 1000cc is a huge volume of water to hold at one time and difficult to do, especially for people who have poor muscle control of their rectums, which is often the case in SCI. Also, there is a potential for water intoxication and large amounts to be absorbed in the colon and then to other body parts. Finally, there were many more successful easier products developed that eventually became a more popular choice.

AAD
    If not for the inflatable cuff on the rectal catheter my sphincter would relax and most of the water would be expelled quickly. Regardless, I'm not retaining the water for very long anyway, if that matters.

As for potential water intoxication and other possible complications (a) I'm not that concerned and (b) the benefits of having a reliable and thorough emptying of my bowel (thus far) is worth the risks, as I hate feeling bloated or spending hours on the bowl with little or no results. I used Magic Bullets for a long time but the alchemy is no more and I never had success with Enemeez.

If somehow I became fatally ill from doing enemas, and I think that is highly improbable, well then it's been real. I'm not hoping for or expecting to live forever. Until then, however, taking a reliable, big crap removes one of the GIANT impositions of living with a SCI.

SCI Nurse- what other devices. Would try anything!!!

Have you considered a colostomy? Mine was a blessing.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005