Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Showerchair

most shower chairs that are also meant to go over toilets are pretty high - about 23". i eventually found a paediatric self-propelled chair that has a height of 18". it does have a commode pan option, but i only use it as a shower chair.

I'm looking for a self propelled chair as well. But I can't transfer yet and I have no idea what is best for me. I'm 5'5 107 lbs. I'm not sure about everything to consider when buying

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    I'm looking for a self propelled chair as well. But I can't transfer yet and I have no idea what is best for me. I'm 5'5 107 lbs. I'm not sure about everything to consider when buying
    Right now I'm using an old everyday wheelchair that is too big for me, but it's starting to rust because it wasn't made for water so I'm in the market for something new too.

Things I've found dont work for me so far are:

-the seats with the hole-opening in the front, my legs just fold in and get stuck in the opening

-if the seat back doesn't recline back or if there isn't "dump" in the frame. My balance gets very unstable like this, plus my blood pressure bottoms out.

Those are just some things I've found problematic for me, so If you can I recommend trying some out at a med supply store to see what is most comfortable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding a chair/bench that helps for quad balance?
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Right now I'm using an old everyday wheelchair that is too big for me, but it's starting to rust because it wasn't made for water so I'm in the market for something new too.

Things I've found dont work for me so far are:

-the seats with the hole-opening in the front, my legs just fold in and get stuck in the opening

-if the seat back doesn't recline back or if there isn't "dump" in the frame. My balance gets very unstable like this, plus my blood pressure bottoms out.

Those are just some things I've found problematic for me, so If you can I recommend trying some out at a med supply store to see what is most comfortable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding a chair/bench that helps for quad balance?
    Ashley,

Why don't you give me a call or PM me. I think I can solve both of those problems for you.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by tvot View Post
    i always used the e&j, the 3rd one. the best seat available on a shower chair.
    i had an invacare cuz thats all medicare would pay for a few years ago. it weighed a ton and the seat was like a rock. i saved my money and bought the e&j myself.
    Yeah, I consider the E&J the Cadillac of shower chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    I'd start by thinking what you used while in rehab. Did it work for you? If not, why? What would have made it better? Mentally go through the step-by-step thought process from before you even enter the bathroom. Once inside, what do you need to do in terms of maneuvering. Will 2 chairs fit in the bathroom? Can you turn if necessary? I don't know how long you've been in your current situation, but it won't take long before you realize what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately, it may be an expensive learning experience. The more preplanning you do, the less costly it will be in the long run. Always ask the question, do I need it and why? I was lucky in that both my bathrooms were designed and constructed post injury. It was just an inconvenient 6 months before I got there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

Ashley,

I'll go back to my previous post. Take a good look at the E&J if you haven't already. The arms are removable and the cushion is quite comfortable. If you can find someplace that has one for you to sit on, you'll find out fairly quick if it'll work. I too have the same problem with C-shaped seats. The E&J can be had with an oval seat and the sling back will stretch over time, causing one to recline a little.