Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Lawsuit to a hospital information..

  1. #1
    Senior Member garyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Port St Lucie,Florida
    Posts
    416

    Lawsuit to a hospital information..

    Well after thinking about it for a few weeks of laying
    around and having to be stuck in bed because of lack
    of attention and care at the hospital and also speaking
    to a few other people that have had bad care at the same
    hospital I am thinking about getting a lawyer to look
    into he case. I do not want to sue for the money I want
    them to change their care practices and make sure this
    place does not keep giving the same bad car to people the
    way they cared for me. I went in with a broken femur
    then get to come home with 2 pressure sores because of
    lack of care and an air mattress, that I requested. With
    all of the releases that they make you sign when you get admitted
    I dont think I have a chance but I mainly want them to
    see that people are getting crappy care at this hospital.
    Also I do not have the money to just hire a lawyer
    so I will have to at least sue for enough to pay the lawyer
    and pay medicare back because they go after that kind
    of money if you sue someone.
    But has anyone tried and is it worth the time and
    trouble or will it get brushed under the rug?
    I am going to at least contact a lawyer this week
    to get their advice as well but I know you guys here
    have a good idea as well if it is worth it too..
    Thanks Everyone
    Gary

  2. #2
    Have you tried going through the ombudsman department of the hospital in question? Lawsuits are expensive and outcomes are questionable and elusive. If you have a problem with care at a hospital, I would suggest that you try to run that problem through the hospital administration before you go litigious (unless of course there is a major malpractice injury that has been a result of your hospital stay).

    All the best,
    GJ

  3. #3
    Senior Member smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    2,171
    Gary, a medical malpractice/negligence suit is typically taken on a contingency basis...meaning you pay no fees unless you win or settle the case. Sue the cocksuckers and put them on notice that it wasn't right what they did to you and then maybe they won't do it to someone else later. Do some research and get a lawyer with excellent trial skills...not just some ambulance chasing settlement boob on tv.

  4. #4
    Senior Member garyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Port St Lucie,Florida
    Posts
    416
    Thanks for the advise guys, I am still not sure what I am going to do , I was at the Dr today getting checked out ( the bone surgeon) and even the Dr said that they let me out of the hospital early so I would not get worse.
    The wound care clinic is sending out a nurse evey 3rd day to change dressings because it is too high on my butt for me to change on my own like in the past when I had a few small problems.
    I do not really want to go after them for money only , I want them to change their policy about getting people who need a air mattress as soon as they get in the hospital so this does not happen to anybody else. From the few people and even nurses that I have spoken to about this they have all said that it is pretty common for that place not to care.
    One of the other things on my mind is about a year and a half ago I fell sliding down on a wet ramp at Walgreens when leaving and as soon as I made a report to the manager about the ramp their lawyers started in and then I was getting letters and calls from medicare saying I had a lawsuit going on and they where ready to stop paying my regular Dr and supplies thinking I was suing so they wanted to get payed back. But I had to convince them ( medicare) that I did not have a suit going on, The bad thing is Walgreens still has not fixed the ramp either after a year and a half..
    I really am not one to go after suing but it seems that bussinesses attack first even if you tell them that I just want the ramp fixed,,
    I dont know what to do ,,My main concern is getting my butt healed and femur mended now.
    Just might talk to a ADA lawyer first to do both cases with walgreens and the hospital, my thinking being I deserve a good ramp at walgreens and good care at a hospital..
    If I do go after the 2 places would I want to use an ADA type lawyer or a different lawyer??
    Thanks for the input..
    Gary

  5. #5
    Senior Member garyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Port St Lucie,Florida
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Have you tried going through the ombudsman department of the hospital in question? Lawsuits are expensive and outcomes are questionable and elusive. If you have a problem with care at a hospital, I would suggest that you try to run that problem through the hospital administration before you go litigious (unless of course there is a major malpractice injury that has been a result of your hospital stay).

    All the best,
    GJ
    I spoke to a PA at the Dr office today and even she said that going through the hospital about this goes nowhere.. That shows how bad this place is.
    Thanks gjnl
    Gary

  6. #6
    You need to consult a plaintiffs personal injury trial lawyer who handles medical malpractice. Its best to find this attorney in the county where the hospital is located or at least nearby. Generally speaking, allowing an inpatient to suffer decubitus ulcers falls below the standard of care. A lawyer evaluating your potential claim will look at the nature and extent of your injuries and balance that against the estimated costs and risks of litigation against the hospital. Sometimes the hospital (or whoever) can be negligent but the injuries are not serious enough to justify the risks of suit. This is an unfortunate side effect of the contingency fee system because the lawyer bears all the financial risk of pursuing a lawsuit.
    Medical malpractice cases can be expensive and drawn out because hospitals and doctors generally refuse to admit when they are wrong (they are only trying to help you after all, correct?). Good luck and dont let them push you around!
    "If you are going through hell-keep going." -Winston Churchill

  7. #7
    Senior Member garyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Port St Lucie,Florida
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by number1advocate View Post
    You need to consult a plaintiffs personal injury trial lawyer who handles medical malpractice. Its best to find this attorney in the county where the hospital is located or at least nearby. Generally speaking, allowing an inpatient to suffer decubitus ulcers falls below the standard of care. A lawyer evaluating your potential claim will look at the nature and extent of your injuries and balance that against the estimated costs and risks of litigation against the hospital. Sometimes the hospital (or whoever) can be negligent but the injuries are not serious enough to justify the risks of suit. This is an unfortunate side effect of the contingency fee system because the lawyer bears all the financial risk of pursuing a lawsuit.
    Medical malpractice cases can be expensive and drawn out because hospitals and doctors generally refuse to admit when they are wrong (they are only trying to help you after all, correct?). Good luck and dont let them push you around!
    Thanks for the information Number1 , I am looking now for a lawyer, I have not spoke to any as of yet , but I might try to speak to the people in the hospital first to see what they say or will do for future patient care to anyone else, that is my main concern at this point. The biggest thing is I cant afford to hire a lawyer to get just the rules changed which is what I want and if I find a lawyer then they will be going for at least money to cover their fees as well which I can understand.
    I was at the Dr office today well 2 different Drs one reg care and the wound care clinic and I asked their advise as well, they are not affiliated to that hospital in any way , but both said that the care that I was provided was not proper care and they should not have let this happen to me.. So as I get healed a little better I am going to be looking for an attorney that might want to take the case, but not sure where that will lead either..
    So I am just trying to get healed but I am planning to contact someone about this because this should not have happened in a hospital of all places..
    Gary

  8. #8
    Senior Member garyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Port St Lucie,Florida
    Posts
    416
    Well I got a surprise today in the mail from the hospital that gave me the bad care from their Cheif Nursing Officer,, the found a note that I had got a bedsore while in their care and they gave me a phone number to call and sppeak to them about the care and also that they are going to pick up all of the expenses that I am going to have with the care and healing of the bedsores that I recieved while in their care , That in itself surprised me that they found it in the notes that I was discharged with a bedsore..
    I am really surprised that they found that and sent me a letter to take care of all expences before I even said a word to them or contacted a lawyer.. Also they want to speak to me about improving the care there.
    I know that they are just covering their asses but at least they have shown that they are willing to do something about it so since they are doing that I dont think there is a reason to contact a lawyer in this case.
    At least medicare is not going to have to pay out for their mistakes now.
    I will play it by ear now to see if they are just going to agree with everything that I say or they really mean to fix their care system..
    Thanks
    Gary

  9. #9
    Wow! My local hospital needs a wake up call as well.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

    I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    8,147
    Quote Originally Posted by garyv View Post
    Well I got a surprise today in the mail from the hospital that gave me the bad care from their Cheif Nursing Officer,, the found a note that I had got a bedsore while in their care and they gave me a phone number to call and sppeak to them about the care and also that they are going to pick up all of the expenses that I am going to have with the care and healing of the bedsores that I recieved while in their care , That in itself surprised me that they found it in the notes that I was discharged with a bedsore..
    I am really surprised that they found that and sent me a letter to take care of all expences before I even said a word to them or contacted a lawyer.. Also they want to speak to me about improving the care there.
    I know that they are just covering their asses but at least they have shown that they are willing to do something about it so since they are doing that I dont think there is a reason to contact a lawyer in this case.
    At least medicare is not going to have to pay out for their mistakes now.
    I will play it by ear now to see if they are just going to agree with everything that I say or they really mean to fix their care system..
    Thanks
    Gary
    Gary,

    They are not doing a wonderful thing here by paying your bill.

    Medicare refuses to and will not pay for a stay where a condition which could have been prevented is acquired during a hospital stay. Their Chief Nursing Officer was alerted because you developed a hospital acquired condition and it generated certain codes on your medical record that threw up red flags to hospital administration. These kind of conditions include decubitus ulcers, broken bones (usually hip) due to falls while a patient, post-surgical infections, and there are lots of other conditions. They must track these conditions and report them. Here is a complete list of what must be reported:

    http://www.cms.gov/HospitalAcqCond/0....asp#TopOfPage

    In the past, some hospitals were getting rich because they made their patients sicker instead of better and charged Medicare/Medicaid for the bill.

    Hospitals by law cannot charge Medicare nor Medicaid nor the patient for these stays.

    A number of organizations also track these kinds of negligible conditions such as the Joint Commission and State Licensing agencies.

    They are required to do this by law not the goodness of their heart.

    They are covering their ass and hoping you won't hire an attorney because you have a negligence case. You should still seek a lawyer. Your condition was and should have been prevented. Of course, they are not going to tell you that....
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 04-30-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

    My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Similar Threads

  1. Lawsuit Day
    By sherry38 in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 10:19 AM
  2. Lawsuit?
    By landrover in forum Life
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 12:58 PM
  3. A hospital within a hospital /Northern Kentucky hospital
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 01:22 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2002, 02:03 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2002, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •