Thread: U of M invention helping with spinal cord injuries

U of M invention helping with spinal cord injuries

It may look like a hybrid ab-exerciser and stationary bike, but this contraption is actually a ground-breaking new approach to treating patients with spinal cord injuries.

Designed and constructed by two engineering students at the University of Manitoba, the Neuro Mechano Stimulator Pedals stimulate receptors on the sole of patients’ feet. By stimulating sensory inputs and spinal reflexes at the same time, the device is supposed to help generate new neural pathways in the spine.

“NASA has been using special shoes to stimulate the mechanoreceptors of the foot sole for astronauts to compensate for the void of stimulation due to being in zero-gravity; hence enabling them to walk normally when they get back to earth,” U of M’s Professor of Electrical Engineering, Dr. Zahra Moussavi, said in a recent press release.

more...

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/invent...164/story.html

Wonder what the cost will be? I am close to MI, I would do it in a hearbeat. Kind of like a tens unit attached to bottom of feet maybe?
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

this happens because of neuroplasticity.sensory inputs and spinal reflexes can cause neuroplasticity in spinal cord after the injury.

the cost would be around 200 $ if it becomes industrial

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post

It may look like a hybrid ab-exerciser and stationary bike, but this contraption is actually a ground-breaking new approach to treating patients with spinal cord injuries.

Designed and constructed by two engineering students at the University of Manitoba, the Neuro Mechano Stimulator Pedals stimulate receptors on the sole of patients’ feet. By stimulating sensory inputs and spinal reflexes at the same time, the device is supposed to help generate new neural pathways in the spine.

“NASA has been using special shoes to stimulate the mechanoreceptors of the foot sole for astronauts to compensate for the void of stimulation due to being in zero-gravity; hence enabling them to walk normally when they get back to earth,” U of M’s Professor of Electrical Engineering, Dr. Zahra Moussavi, said in a recent press release.

more...

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/invent...164/story.html
    this happens because of neuroplasticity.sensory inputs and spinal reflexes can cause neuroplasticity in spinal cord after the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by JEAPOW View Post
    Wonder what the cost will be? I am close to MI, I would do it in a hearbeat. Kind of like a tens unit attached to bottom of feet maybe?
    the cost would be around 200 $ if it becomes industrial

I'm interested, any chance of getting one in NYC? Or for $200 can I try it with a money back Guarantee?? I've been thinking of some kind of PT, new and different. This could be up my strange kind of alley.