Thread: Embryonic Stem Cell Tumorigenesis Solved

Embryonic Stem Cell Tumorigenesis Solved

Embryonic Stem Cell Tumorigenesis Solved: PNAS Study — UPDATED
    By: Bradley Fikes — April 25th, 2011
    UPDATE – At the bottom of this post, I’ve included comments on this study from two stem cell scientists.

One of the biggest hurdles to treating patients with human embryonic stem cells, their propensity to form tumors, has been overcome, according to a scientific team including prominent local researchers.

The team reported turning embryonic stem cells into stable cultures of neural precursor cells. These precursor cells were transplanted into immune-deficient mice, growing without evidence of tumor formation.

In another advance, the neural precursor cells were coaxed to remain in the precursor state and multiply for a longer time than with previous methods. That enabled the cells to replicate enough to make enough for therapy, said Kang Zhang, one of the study’s authors and director of UC San Diego’s Institute for Genomic Medicine.

“We’re excited about the results, and I think they’ll have a very broad application to a variety of diseases, such as neurodegenerative diseases, Parkinson’s disease, spinal cord injuries, macular degeneration and glaucoma,” Zhang said. “We’re hoping to push this into clinical trials in the next five years.”

continue....

http://www.nctimes.com/app/blogs/wp/?p=12717

We’re hoping to push this into clinical trials in the next five years.”
    Translation: we don't really have a clinical trial clue. Lief: SHTF up on my posts.

Lol David, I think they are listening to you!

Here is another article about this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...cience+News%29

The impressive part is:

In this groundbreaking cellular-reprogramming research, Dr. Ding focuses on reprogramming skin cells into neural stem cells using the existing iPS technology -- but with a twist. Dr. Ding never lets the cells enter the pluripotent state of iPS cells, in which they could develop into any type of cell. Instead he uses yet another cocktail of factors to transform the skin cells directly into neural stem cells. Avoiding the pluripotent state is important because it avoids the potential danger that "rogue" iPS cells could develop into a tumor if used to replace or repair damaged organs or tissue. And as with Dr. Ding's embryonic stem-cell research, this cell-reprogramming work also makes it possible to create a far greater number of cells for research or regenerative purposes.
    This could speed up the practical use of iPS cells massively!

Fly, this is very interesting and another piece of the puzzle.

keeping on

and like everybody always! in the next five years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! really come on five years has come and gone a long ass time ago! just tell the truth you don't know how long if ever.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    Translation: we don't really have a clinical trial clue. Lief: SHTF up on my posts.
    Too Fricking Funny!!!! But true.....