Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion

A suggestion

Initially, I had asked if cathing with alcohol was a bad idea. Obviously, due to the searing nature of the substance, it was clearly pointed out that it wasn't.

However, I cathe with a lube that is bacteriostatic as well as adding a little alcohol to the lube, then I cover the catheter as if I am jerking it off and then insert it into my urethra.

I wanted to suggest this practice in case people who cathe still have trouble infecting themselves. A little alcohol mixed with the lube may help kill bad bacteria.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    i think your being a little gun shy. i've actually read some reports that uti/ bacteria infection are more often caused by not cathing often enough or not draining completely more than anything. i read somewhere(maybe a report posted here?) that a person is less likely to get an UTI using a dirty cath than going 10-12 hours without cathing. i would use caution using the jackoff grip also, sound like more of forcing it in there, i usually grip with 2-3 fingers and insert, it should go easy, although somemtimes might have to hold it with a little pressure when passing the sphincter.

i thought most uti's is the cathetor pushing e coli from poo particles floating aboot
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Quote Originally Posted by jerkens View Post
    i thought most uti's is the cathetor pushing e coli from poo particles floating aboot
    But, not all urinary tract infections (UTIs) are E. coli.
    Other bacteria that cause UTIs are:
    The bacterial strains that cause UTIs include:
    * Escherichia (E.) coli is responsible for most uncomplicated cystitis cases in women, especially in younger women. E. coli is generally a harmless microorganism originating in the intestines. If it spreads to the vaginal opening, it may invade and colonize the bladder, causing an infection. The spread of E. coli to the vaginal opening most commonly occurs when women or girls wipe themselves from back to front after urinating, or after sexual activity.
    * Staphylococcus saprophyticus accounts for 5 - 15% of UTIs, mostly in younger women.
    * Klebsiella, Enterococci bacteria, and Proteus mirabilis account for most of remaining bacterial organisms that cause UTIs. They are generally found in UTIs in older women.
    * Rare bacterial causes of UTIs include ureaplasma urealyticum and Mycoplasma hominis, which are generally harmless organisms.
    * The bacteria that cause kidney infections (pyelonephritis) are generally the same bacteria that cause cystitis. There is some evidence, however, the E. coli strains in pyelonephritis are more virulent (able to spread and cause illness).
    * Complicated UTIs that are related to physical or structural conditions are apt to be caused by a wider range of organism. E. coli is still the most common organism, but others include Klebsiella, P. mirabilis, and Citrobacter.
    * Fungal organisms, such as Candida species. (Candida albicanscauses the "yeast infections" that also occur in the mouth, digestive tract, and vagina.)
    * Other bacteria associated with complicated or severe infection include Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterobacter, and Serratia species, gram-positive organisms (including Enterococcus species), and S. saprophyticus.
    Excerpted from: http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...__000036_2.htm

Todd have you considered using Vetericyn?

All the best,
    GJ

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by jerkens View Post
    it's also important to clean the cathing area before inserting cath for that reason.

@ginl-should he use the veterycin even if no infection, would a person become immune to it if prolonged /repeated use.

also, as i have understood, some bacteria becomes trapped in the urethal canal and when cathing this is essentially pushed back into the bladder and could cause uti, hence the reason for the caths with antibacterial stuff to help fight uti's.
    for this reason i always make sure i drink a lot of water so bladder is full when doing Bowel program. the force of pushing poop out my ass makes me pee too and i hope this flushes out my uretha and the nasty bacteria.
    don't know if it works, but sounds good in theory, IMO

Hi,

I have never heard of alcohol being used (mixed or straight) into the urethra due to the harshness of the solution. It doesn't sound like you feel any unusual sensation with this but I personally would not recommend it for the potential irriation it could cause.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    @ginl-should he use the veterycin even if no infection, would a person become immune to it if prolonged /repeated use.
    I would suggest a thorough reading of this thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133414
    and other threads on this site dealing with vetericyn.

I am finding these keys to avoiding bladder infections:
    Drink a lot of water
    Use Vetericyn, Microcyn, Puracyn as an instillation into the bladder
    If you wear a leg bag, keep it scrupulously clean
    Use a new catheter for each cath
    Do not use the same lubrication tube for lubricating the catheter and for your bowel program
    Wash the the urogenital area thoroughly with soap and rinse with clean water
    Use a povidone wipe or swab around the urogenital area before cathing and after washing (this may be "belts and suspenders" after using a soap and water wash and rinse, but what can it hurt?)
    Use gloves rather than your bare hands. Gloves are clean or easy to get clean by washing, can you get the same level of cleanliness under your fingernails, around your cuticles etc., without a surgical scrub approach, i.e., many minutes of washing and rinsing?
    Make sure you have a clean layout for your catheter and supplies, i.e., a tray lined with plastic wrap or clean paper towels, upon which you place your lubricated catheter and other supplies as necessary.

I'm sure there are other tips along this line that others can offer.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    i think your being a little gun shy. i've actually read some reports that uti/ bacteria infection are more often caused by not cathing often enough or not draining completely more than anything. i read somewhere(maybe a report posted here?) that a person is less likely to get an UTI using a dirty cath than going 10-12 hours without cathing. i would use caution using the jackoff grip also, sound like more of forcing it in there, i usually grip with 2-3 fingers and insert, it should go easy, although somemtimes might have to hold it with a little pressure when passing the sphincter.
    No, no. I put the lube on the catheter as if I'm jerking it off, not my penis. To insert in my dick, I just aim for the hole with three fingers holding it.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Todd have you considered using Vetericyn?

All the best,
    GJ
    I have. I may switch over to that and do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hi,

I have never heard of alcohol being used (mixed or straight) into the urethra due to the harshness of the solution. It doesn't sound like you feel any unusual sensation with this but I personally would not recommend it for the potential irriation it could cause.

AAD
    You're probably right, but I'm a bit anxious about UTIs. I may try not using the anti-bacterial gel mixed with the lube for a while and see the results.