Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Morels, they'll be dinner soon.

We use to go hunting for these every spring when we lived in Ohio. Never have tried to find any here in Tennessee. We have three acres of woods, but most of the property is pretty steep, so I never went looking for any. Now, I can't, and I wish I had searched while I could! They are so good! I've heard you can make decent money selling them too.

I used to be able to find enough morels to fill a bread bag in an hour. Then the DNR stocked my hollow with "wild" turkeys. Now, all you can find is turkey scratches. I don't mind, since I can't climb the WV hills anymore.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

My Bapcia used to make a Polish mushroom dish with these - she made a gravy type sauce to cook them in - I had completely forgotten about that until this thread DeadEye - thanks for sparking that memory !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    We use to go hunting for these every spring when we lived in Ohio. Never have tried to find any here in Tennessee. We have three acres of woods, but most of the property is pretty steep, so I never went looking for any. Now, I can't, and I wish I had searched while I could! They are so good! I've heard you can make decent money selling them too.

$14-$18 or more per pound fresh. they sell them at the food co-op by the gram dried. really expensive. never been able to sell them myself.

Good eatin', i found a hollow where(when i was able ) i was hunting and thot i'd died and gone to heaven, there were chantrelle's galore. I gathered about 35 LBS and had them tucked every where on my person, the hell with the deer. I got back to the car and my dad was like "what the F" mushrooms, really. Then he got the picture when I showed him the mushrooms at the store. At $15-18 bucks a pound.....

I had the last of the Morels last night and they were good to the last bite. They seem to be a lot more abundant this year than most, maybe because we've had some good rain.

And FO, morel hunting is what you do when you finish turkey hunting!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

They are going for $25 a lb. here. I took David out in his Frontier X5 chair Monday, never again. It turned out to be a costly mistake. I could have bought several lbs. and saved the energy. Looking around the edges wasn't good enough, he had to keep following me into the deep woods, and I must say he was plowing thru some pretty thick stuff with that chair, knocking over small saplings and everything. He did manage to find one himself which is a first in 6 years but....
    he got a flat tire, no one in two counties has the right size of tube. So ok, we will use your old Invacare chair right...nope dead batteries. So after a night in the hospital type transport chair, spent $347 for batteries and another $30 on a tube, got the Invacare going last night and the tube today, still got get that mounted. Luckily it has rained yesterday and today so no going back out yet. Next time I go though I may just forget to tell him until after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    They are going for $25 a lb. here. I took David out in his Frontier X5 chair Monday, never again. It turned out to be a costly mistake. I could have bought several lbs. and saved the energy. Looking around the edges wasn't good enough, he had to keep following me into the deep woods, and I must say he was plowing thru some pretty thick stuff with that chair, knocking over small saplings and everything. He did manage to find one himself which is a first in 6 years but....
    he got a flat tire, no one in two counties has the right size of tube. So ok, we will use your old Invacare chair right...nope dead batteries. So after a night in the hospital type transport chair, spent $347 for batteries and another $30 on a tube, got the Invacare going last night and the tube today, still got get that mounted. Luckily it has rained yesterday and today so no going back out yet. Next time I go though I may just forget to tell him until after the fact.
    Ouch, sorry to hear it. I am a firm believer in solid inserts for all four tires. I have hobbled home on flats wayyyyy too many times.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Solid inserts? What is that, where do you get them? I called the DME who sold us the X5 and he didn't mention that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Solid inserts? What is that, where do you get them? I called the DME who sold us the X5 and he didn't mention that at all.
    Without checking, I'm not certain that solid inserts are available for the X-5 but probably are. I've used them for 15 years on my invacare's and now my Permobile. The smaller front wheels I get solid, and then the larger rear wheels have a solid insert that looks similar to an inflated tube. Since it's a solid foam-like material, there's never any risk of a flat. WELL worth the extra few bucks when you spec a chair out, or as add-ons later.