Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Question about wheel width

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Oli, since you have no side guards, putting the wheels closer will most likely end up having your clothes rubbing wheels.

(Unless we're talking about figure skating jumps the correct spelling is axle, not axel.)

Oli, when you're feeling better, please post a photo of the axle removed from the wheel and one of the end of the camber bar.

One use of spacers is to place them behind the axle receiver (which threads into the camber plug, which in turn is glued into the camber bar) to increase wheel spacing, the distance of the wheel relative to the frame of the chair. (The axle inserts into the axle receiver.)

The second use of spacers is to accommodate a wheel axle that is too long to fit securely into the axle receiver. Depending on which side of the wheel the axle spacers are placed, the result will either be an axle that is protruding out from the wheel or an increase the wheel spacing (i.e., distance from the chair).

But, again, to determine precisely what's going on with your situation, it would be best to post some detailed photos.
    Last edited by stephen212; 04-25-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Clarity

I do want to thank everyone again. I am sorry if I get a little confused as I am still very new to all the terminology.

I will take some pics in a little bit but I am not exactly sure of what I should be taking them of. Is there any way to explain exactly which angle you need to see?

I think you are right about having axles that are too long. There are spacers all over the place, inside the wheel, outside the wheel and so on...

I have PLENTY of room for the wheels to come closer to my body before my clothes rub. I have like 5 inches from wheel to hip. And 2 inches from spokes to cushion and bar.

I am thinking if Sportaid has axles for $65 that the shop I was as was pretty lame to offer them to me for $200 EACH! What is up with that?

Oli

Looks to ms like the camber tube is wider than normal, in the second pic. I can't see any spacers between the hub and the tube, it just looks a bit long. Pics from underneath, please.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Pics of the axles with spacers would be good, too! If they simply spaced the axles on either side of the hub with washers the job could be done much better, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli View Post
    I do want to thank everyone again. I am sorry if I get a little confused as I am still very new to all the terminology.

I will take some pics in a little bit but I am not exactly sure of what I should be taking them of. Is there any way to explain exactly which angle you need to see?

I think you are right about having axles that are too long. There are spacers all over the place, inside the wheel, outside the wheel and so on...

I have PLENTY of room for the wheels to come closer to my body before my clothes rub. I have like 5 inches from wheel to hip. And 2 inches from spokes to cushion and bar.

I am thinking if Sportaid has axles for $65 that the shop I was as was pretty lame to offer them to me for $200 EACH! What is up with that?

Oli

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    (Unless we're talking about figure skating jumps the correct spelling is axle, not axel.)
    my typing skills suck, but it would be cool to see someone do an axel in their wheelchair, maybe toto can try that out for us

if the previous owner had a properly functioning chair, that wasnt either frankensteined or special ordered with longer camber tube, and you dont think hes screwing you over, then what you have will work. my chair is fine, but it would only take me a half hour with a wrench and a few spacers to make it too wide, with non-locking axles, etc etc. it does look on one of your photos like the camber bar is too long, but it could be the angle. you do need to get a few more detailed pics up... if the camber bar is extra long for the seat width, then it must have been special ordered that way, and the previous owner should have told you... try getting the serial number off the bottom of the frame and call tilite - they can tell you what the specs were, and then youll know how easy (or expensive) it will be to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    maybe read the posts before commenting, said spacers were on axels, when spacers are used, they are generally on the axels to make longer axels fit properly.
    I read the posts very carefully before commenting, but thank you for your concern.

OK, I took some pics with my chair upside down. And some of the axle area of the wheels and some of everything else I could think of....

Oli

And a couple more...