Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MLK "The International Association for the Advancement of Creative Maladjustment"

In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

The overall image of the SCI happy roller, is more harmful to progress that the mistake we can make generalizing the opposite is true.

And we need progress.

Great initiative Dennis, as usual.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

What I find damaging is people thinking unless we find a cure that we are unable to be useful, functioning members of society. I would like to be able to get on a plane without being asked how much I weigh or be told (wrongly) that since I am flying without a companion I can't sit in an aisle seat, not have people speak loudly and slowly too me or all the other ignorance we all face daily. I am not a tourist here, I want a cure as much as anyone else... but we need to fight for equality regardless of if we find a cure in 5 years or 50.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    - Indeed. - Thank you for the link, Paolo!
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Since I'm one of those who have trouble waking up in the morning, interestingly I didn't have this problem while I was not in the chair, I put this speech on my phone and listen to it as I open my eyes in the morning. It gets me out of bed and back to work for the cure.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

I got an interesting email this morning challenging my statistics.
    I was told that according to his information...
    1. The suicide rate for those with SCI is only double that of non-sci people.
    2. The unemployment rate for those with SCI in America is only 30%.

OH! I'm sorry if my statistics are wrong (I don't think so, though).

If the suicide rate is only double and the unemployment rate only 30% I guess WE SHOULD ADJUST OURSELVES TO THIS!!

Not me, I prefer being maladjusted.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    I got an interesting email this morning challenging my statistics.
    I was told that according to his information...
    1. The suicide rate for those with SCI is only double that of non-sci people.
    2. The unemployment rate for those with SCI in America is only 30%.

OH! I'm sorry if my statistics are wrong (I don't think so, though).

If the suicide rate is only double and the unemployment rate only 30% I guess WE SHOULD ADJUST OURSELVES TO THIS!!

Not me, I prefer being maladjusted.

Even if the suicide rate was normal & the unemployment rate was normal I would still refuse to adjust myself to a life condition that, in my personal opinion, can be described as a constant phisical torture.

Then at some point the stockholm sydrome affect most of us, but that's another story.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Paolo and Dennis. Thanks for the statements. None of "give up" because of the wheel chair thing, but that does not mean that that we're not fed up with the status quo.

It is not mountaineering, surfing or hanging gliding (or anything else out of the ordinary) that is a problem. It is the profound and real need for a life free of dependency on so many things that drives us to search for cure.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Cures for SCI is a human rights issue as good as any human rights issues.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml

Finally the truth. Its not so rosie as the media portray.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis