Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The CareCure CAD Repository

a pair more.

16 x 15 85 Degree TiLite ZR2

COG = 3 is too forward. Horizontally rotating and moving the rear axle to the forward-most position (pic 1) is still not enough for the desired tendency of the front end to tip up over irregular surfaces. But it does position more than half of the front caster under the rear wheel (pic 2) which is a stability concern.

A spec of COG = 5 (~3 original position + (29.9 - 28.5) for advancing + 0.5 for rotation) would have prevented this problem.

note: after moving the rear axle forward, the length shown in the drawing is changed from 29.9" to 28.5".
    Last edited by Axle; 02-01-2013 at 06:34 AM.

15x17+1.5 80 Degree TiLite TR3

This is actually the first TR3 that myself and a colleague spec'd. It is for a very experienced user with a fairly low level injury who happens to be one of the better wheelchair athletes around. He was looking to replace a TopEnd Terminator Titanium which had a 75 degree frame angle. We initially intended to do exactly that. This was the initial CAD provided for our specs...

Based on our prior experience translating specs, it seemed reasonable to assume that adding 1 1/2 inches to a standard 17" deep 75 degree TiLite frame would give us an Occupied Frame Length (OFL) similar to a 17" deep 75 degree TopEnd frame. Upon seeing the OFL spec we requested for the CAD, however, this was clearly not the case. Surprisingly, the OFL was nearly 2" longer than than the OFL of his Terminator!

Because requesting the OFL allowed us to realize our proposed specs would have resulted in a substantially different frame than we expected, we had a chance to regroup and discuss things further. We decided the best way to get an OFL similar to the Terminator was to change the frame angle to 85 degrees. The effect on the TR3's OFL is shown in the second CAD...

After receiving the second CAD, a third discussion took place. It was mutually agreed to pull the trigger and order the chair based on the revised specs:

Tilite TR Series 3
    15" Seat Width
    17" Seat Depth
    18.5 Custom Frame Depth
    80 Degree Front Angle
    19" Front Seat Height
    17.5" Rear Seat Height
    17" Seat To Footrest Height
    4" Front Frame Taper
    9" Footrest Width
    DU100057 Custom Adjustable Height Fixed Backrest
    10.5-14.5" Set @ 13"
    6.5" Custom Ht Rigidizer Bar
    Non-folding Back
    88 Degree Fixed Back
    3.5" Center Of Gravity
    .75" Rear Wheel Spacing
    0 Degree Camber
    4" Perf Billet Aluminum w/ Poly Tire
    Slipstream Fork w/ Titanium Stems
    25" Golz Twin-star Exchange Wheels w/ Schwalbe Speedrun Tires
    Short Tab Titanium Handrims
    Tension Adjustable By Straps Back Upholstery
    G10 Solid Seat
    Rigid Removable Standard Carbon Fiber Side Guards

Here is how the actual chairs compare...

On a technical note, the CAD for this chair shows a custom frame dimension that provides exactly 1.5" of frame tubing between the front of the seat pan and the start of the frame bend. This was not the case for the last TR3 that I posted in the repository--a 15x17+2 80 Degree TiLite TR3. That chair had the additional 1/2 inch that TiLite added to the TR3's standard frame...

Discussion thread.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 02-03-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Most definitely interested in this chair and discussion thread.

15x17+1.5 80 Degree TiLite TR3 Discussion Thread

I have one niggle about the OFL measurement. I think it should be measured from the footrest to the center of the back post, not the front. Measuring to the front of the back post makes sense if the chair uses fabric upholstery but not if your using a hard shell back. For example, while the 1.25" tubing back posts on my chair atypical, it would distort the OFL slightly. If measured to the center of the back post, it would take into account all setups -- except for all of those I can't think of at the moment .

No go and change it!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I have one niggle about the OFL measurement. I think it should be measured from the footrest to the center of the back post, not the front. Measuring to the front of the back post makes sense if the chair uses fabric upholstery but not if your using a hard shell back. For example, while the 1.25" tubing back posts on my chair atypical, it would distort the OFL slightly. If measured to the center of the back post, it would take into account all setups -- except for all of those I can't think of at the moment .

No go and change it!
    Given that the front of the back post is already used to measure seat depth, rear STF height, COG, and even frame length on some models, request is denied.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Given that the front of the back post is already used to measure seat depth, rear STF height, COG, and even frame length on some models, request is denied.
    I want to speak with your supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    On Tilite chairs - some other manufacturers measure differently.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    On Tilite chairs - some other manufacturers measure differently.
    While manufacturers do have different definitions for some measurements, the front of the back post is already a reference point in every custom rigid frame manufacturer's CAD drawings that appear in the repository. This not only includes TiLite, but also Lasher, Oracing, and TopEnd...