Thread: Stim Amount

Stim Amount

I am T11 ASIA C and I know that most lower level people have little response to Stim but I have had some twitches and things can change over time. I have been told so many diff things about how often and how much Stim to apply. With my personality my tendency is to over due it so I have been doing it 3 hrs or so a day. I try to do it when I stand like gluts/hams/quads while I am in the standing frame and I try to squeeze whatever muscle I am stimmimg. I have not had any close calls in terms of burning skin and also tend to do it a lot bc I am paranoid about pressure sores which I had one that took 7 mnths to heal. And the Stim helps with circulation. I have heard to not overdue it bc u will just fatigue the muscles and they will not improve and some have said it doesn't matter as long as your skin holds up. Just checking to see others thoughts. Thanks

Question

Also the Stim I use is not an Empi unit but Swiss Stim by Valmed

I have been instructed to stim twice a day at most and at the lowest level needed to achieve movement. From what I understand you want to stim just enough for the desired movement and then work with it for neuromuscular re-education.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    I have been instructed to stim twice a day at most and at the lowest level needed to achieve movement. From what I understand you want to stim just enough for the desired movement and then work with it for neuromuscular re-education.
    Same muscles twice a day every day? How long per session?

It was recommended to me to do one set of muscles, 30 min., every other day. Although, if you're using a low level of power that you could use the unit twice a day. I was just told no more than twice. Probably due to muscle burnout/fatigue.

Chaz or anyone...do you have to be actively contracting your muscles with the stim unit to see results? If the unit is able to contract muscles below your level of injury but without your help (passively) will the muscles still tighten or grow?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Hi Nov-I'm not sure. Experience and instruction have shown me that electrical stimulation units can help jumpstart nerves. I know if you have some active control or even a flicker that it can be strengthened by additional stimulation. I've been able to gain a muscle grade in various parts of my arms this way.

I think the muscles can still grow and strengthen without active use. The electric stimulation cycles seem to help build muscle mass without any active control. I guess it all depends upon your intention.

Yea when I have it on I try to contract whatever
    muscles I have it on. Like if on my gluts I try to squeeze them for 5 then rest for 5 and so on.

Estim Charts

Maybe these will be helpful..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ^^(A)^^