Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My brother

My brother

Hello there,

My brother, like me is English and he has recently had a spinal cord injury and is paralysed from the neck down. He is in Largo, Florida with no family support. He is on medicaid and the hospital are wanting to move him out of the rehab centre because he is going to run out of his 'allocation'. Can anybody give me any advice please?

Just to add, the hospital do not intend to simply throw him out, they are going to place him in a more long-term home, but I would really like him to be able to stay where he is for a while longer because the re-hab facilities are excellent.
    Last edited by Gill Hughes; 04-23-2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: My original message was slightly mis-leading

That's horrible. I hope someone here can help you out.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Contact his local Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Network and Center for Independent Living. They should be able to answer many of your questions and give him some help. Also if he has no place to live after rehab, apply for section 8 housing and SSI/SSDI. They will usually put a disabled person getting out of rehab with no place to live, at the top of the list for section 8.
    Usually medicaid pays for three months of rehab. This work should have been started long ago (months) . I know its hard when you have little to no family help though. Usually they have workers in the rehab hospital to help with this kinda stuff.
    Also, how was he hurt? There may be more funding available depending on that.
    Hope that helps a little.
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

The nearest excellent spinal cord injury center is in Atlanta, Georgia. It is The Sheperd Center and is internationally known for the excellence of care provided and the good rehab given to patients. Is there any possibility you could be in touch with them and try to get him moved there?

I too suggest contacting the Shepherd Center. If his situation allows it they will send a representative down to evaluate him. When I was there rehabbinh there were several people that were there with no insurance.

Their website is www.shepherd.org
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

I would also strongly recommend contacting the help desk at the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center.

I am moving this to our New SCI forum. There are more resources there than on this forum.

(KLD)

Wow. Thank you all for help. It is very much appreciated. I will act on that

Sorry, but how do I get to that new forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I too suggest contacting the Shepherd Center. If his situation allows it they will send a representative down to evaluate him. When I was there rehabbinh there were several people that were there with no insurance.

I have been told that his medicaid does not transfer to a different State. I was told he would have to be on medicare and that would take 2 years to be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post

That's interesting. I will contact the Shepherd Centre. I've heard they are great.