Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rick Hansen concludes China tour at Hong Kong SCI youth Rally; eleven- day visit resu

Quote Originally Posted by topperf View Post
    - Paolo, just use the shortcut IMO instead of the whole ''in my pers...'' thing.

That'll save you some time
    Thanks! ;-)
    I just think that many CC menbers are not very familiar with english.. so maybe it is better to be as clear as possible :-))
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Hey Paol, All I have to say is tough shit! Ladies forgive my language.

All you want to do is critisize because we aren't out of wheelchairs by now. Not sure what you did to get in one, but if it was risky at all, then too bad, you should have known the ramifications. What is it that you didn't hear when the docs said you would more than likely never walk again.

You seem to think that cure is the only goal for our devastating injuries. Well, we need care foremost. What good is a cure if we are so beat up from this that it wouldn't help us at all.

There has been great research and discoveries for this community. Bowel.bladder care, better equipment, better specialty rehabs, more advanced first responder techniques for SCI victims. Our lifespans expectancy have increased dramatically.All have been done with research and devotion by persons like wise and "the equally worthless" people you refer too.

You sound like a cat that has been defanged and declawed, all you seem to do is whine and growl. I'm sure if you went to the Chinese Gov't with your complaints, they would laugh in your face. It took persons like Dr. Young, Rick and his foundation to make the difference.

It wasn't that long ago where quads had an average of 18 months post for survival and paras not that far behind them either. In my lifetime as a para and esp. with people like SCI55, accessibility was not there at all. We had to make it up high curbs, stairs. Consideration for the handicapped was not even considered.

You seem to have no idea of the history and advances we have made just in the last ten years alone. Nor do you seem to care.

So in my personal opinion, Take your fat ass criticism of my country and Canadas and put it where the sun don't shine. You Italians want to walk again, how bout doing something bout it in your own country. Name one thing you guys have done to advance this cause.

That's all I have to say,this is my last remark in this thread.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 04-24-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Hey Paol, All I have to say is tough shit! Ladies forgive my language.

All you want to do is critisize because we aren't out of wheelchairs by now. Not sure what you did to get in one, but if it was risky at all, then too bad, you should have known the ramifications. What is it that you didn't hear when the docs said you would more than likely never walk again.

You seem to think that cure is the only goal for our devastating injuries. Well, we need care foremost. What good is a cure if we are so beat up from this that it wouldn't help us at all.

There has been great research and discoveries for this community. Bowel.bladder care, better equipment, better specialty rehabs, more advanced first responder techniques for SCI victims. Our lifespans expectancy have increased dramatically.All have been done with research and devotion by persons like wise and "the equally worthless" people you refer too.

You sound like a cat that has been defanged and declawed, all you seem to do is whine and growl. I'm sure if you went to the Chinese Gov't with your complaints, they would laugh in your face. It took persons like Dr. Young, Rick and his foundation to make the difference.

It wasn't that long ago where quads had an average of 18 months post for survival and paras not that far behind them either. In my lifetime as a para and esp. with people like SCI55, accessibility was not there at all. We had to make it up high curbs, stairs. Consideration for the handicapped was not even considered.

You seem to have no idea of the history and advances we have made just in the last ten years alone. Nor do you seem to care.

So in my personal opinion, Take your fat ass criticism of my country and Canadas and put it where the sun don't shine. You Italians want to walk again, how bout doing something bout it in your own country. Name one thing you guys have done to advance this cause.

That's all I have to say,this is my last remark in this thread.
    Are you serious??

Paolo, please continue your efforts for all of us. We all have minor disagreements in this effort. Bottom line; a lot of us are looking for a chance to recover. This 2011 and I think trials with results will appear soon. We need people like you and others who are pursuing a treatment that will benefit us all. thanks for your efforts.

keeping on

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    Paolo, please continue your efforts for all of us. We all have minor disagreements in this effort. Bottom line; a lot of us are looking for a chance to recover. This 2011 and I think trials with results will appear soon. We need people like you and others who are pursuing a treatment that will benefit us all. thanks for your efforts.

keeping on
    Keeping on,

thanks for your support.
    Believe it or not every morning it not easy to find a reason to get out of bed for me, just like for many of us. Still in a few mins I get out and start my day as I believe a better futur for all of us will come no metter what.

Paolo

I apologize Pao, that was rather harse. I took it rather personal that you labled people as "worthless" when in fact I know they aren't. I know Rick wants a cure as bad as the next guy; he also wants inclusion and the best rehab facilities available for we who are injured.

Since you brought up as asking the question of thinking that Rick was "god", of course we don't But where is God? Obviously he doesn't want us to be healed as he has'nt brought forth anyone with the answer. Why not petition the Cathollic Church for it's reluctance for Stem Cell Research. Gov'ts etc. Why pick what seemly seems to be Private run Foundations. I don't donate to the Reeve Foundation and the like for that reason. I don't put blame on them, I put the blame on the establishments, Gov't and Church.

Obviously the cure is not my fight. Accessibility,better equipment, ridgid thinking people who thought we should be in the closet was. I was as fervernt about those issues as you are about the cure. It brought fruitation for guys like you to take the next step.

Again, after reading my post, I apologize. Go get 'em, but please, as Wise stated, go after those who are putting the roadblocks to research, not those who are activley involved in changing the roadblocks to a "smooth hiway".

The endless waiting and sci life are grinding us all down, anger is inevitable. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a level of accountability from any of the big "cure" foundations, especially when their fundraising is driven by that premise, but the advocacy has to be constructive and well-aimed. I'm personally thrilled to see Rick Hansen back in the limelight and pushing cure and collaboration. Two months ago some of the same RHI representatives listed in that press release were telling me that clinical trials were years away, more or less a pipe dream. Now they've publicly committed themselves to moving in that direction. I hope to hold them to it, respectfully, and I hope others will too, Canadian or otherwise. In the meantime, like Dr. Young (and Patrick, damn I type slow) said, our real enemies are external. The science may be out of our hands, but strategic advocacy, national and international, are not.

Look no further than:

http://stemcellbattles.wordpress.com...esday-morning/

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    In my personal opinion,
    everybody is equally worthless if they are not trying to do something to get people out of wheelchairs.

Paolo
    Paolo,

I understand what you feel. Criticizing other spinal cord injury organizations may make you feel better but will only harm our cause. It will divide the community and destroy relationships that have taken years to nurture. We all have much to learn from each other. The only way that we can learn from each other is to work together.

Please remember that belief in the cure is a relatively new phenomenon, probably not more than 15 years old. There are people who never believed in the cure, people who use to believe in a cure but do not any longer, people who believe in the cure but don't think that it will come soon enough to benefit them, and people who think that the cure would be here soon if only we all worked together to make it so.

All these views are valid. You and I believe that if we really worked on it together, the cure will benefit people with spinal cord injury in the near future. A lot of people, even here on CareCure, do not share that view. You can't force people to take your view. On the other hand, working together with people allows people to support you and eventually understand your view.

I believe that Rick Hansen was impressed by the huge effort getting chronic spinal cord injury clinical trials going in China. At the same time, I am very impressed by his message to people with disabilities. He is telling them that it is time for them to make a difference. He wants people to do things, whether it is to support cure research, lobbying the government for accesss and better care, taking care of people who don't have the resources, or teaching people what spinal cord injury is.

My frustration is with people who expect the cure, better care and life for people with spinal cord injury to happen without doing anything about it. I am not sure that people understand how much work it is to raise a million dollars for clinical trials, what it takes to get a clinical trial going, and the number of things that can go wrong.

By the way, if people think that it is hard or impossible to get the spinal cord injury community to work together, they should try getting competing doctors to spend their time and effort working on clinical trials together and to do it in a country of 1.4 billion people and in a language that you can barely speak. That is what ChinaSCINet has accomplished. It can be done. It just takes commitment, time, patience, and money.

Wise.

Wise-

Truly? mainland Mandarin is tough for you?

My Taiwanese friends who do translation have a tough time with language when working on the Mainland.
    Last edited by Tetracyclone; 04-27-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: had another thought

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Paolo,

Please stop. I have spent much time with Rick Hansen and can say unequivocably that he supports the cure of spinal cord injury. We are working together. I support his organization and he supports us.

Wise.
    Wise,

how is the collaboration with Mr. Hansen going, if I may ask?

Paolo