Thread: Problem backing up files

Problem backing up files

After reading the back-up your files threads I decided to at least copy some vids and pictures and a few files to disc. The problem arose when my laptop doesn't recognize the cd drive now. Ive burned many music and other files before with no problems. Now it tells me there is no disc and to insert one.
    Checked hardware properties and get this 'device is working properly'

So, can someone tutor me thru a fix ?

Win Vista,basic sp2, sony dvd/cd
    DIGG.

Blog Entries
    I've had cd/dvd drives stop working on a few laptops, usually at 2 or 3 years. They are pretty easy to replace, and you can find them on ebay fairly reasonably priced.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

At the risk of sounding condescending (which is not my intention): have you checked whether it works with a different disc?

If not, try another empty disc from the same batch first, and if it still gives you problems, try a different batch of discs. In my experience troubleshooting various people's PC problems, I've learned that not all (re)writeable DVD discs work with all DVD drives. There's DVD+R(W), and there's DVD-R(W). I've never taken the time to figure out what exactly the difference between those two is. I only know that some drives will recognize one, but not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    After reading the back-up your files threads I decided to at least copy some vids and pictures and a few files to disc. The problem arose when my laptop doesn't recognize the cd drive now. Ive burned many music and other files before with no problems. Now it tells me there is no disc and to insert one.
    Checked hardware properties and get this 'device is working properly'

So, can someone tutor me thru a fix ?

Win Vista,basic sp2, sony dvd/cd
    does it recogize the drive if you put in a music cd? does it play it?
    are you sure the disc you're putting in IS blank?

one thing to consider if you have to replace is a external dvd burner with usb, that way you can use it on different computers
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    I've learned that not all (re)writeable DVD discs work with all DVD drives. There's DVD+R(W), and there's DVD-R(W). I've never taken the time to figure out what exactly the difference between those two is. I only know that some drives will recognize one, but not the other.

Gotcha! My son had left me some extra dvd+r disc which is what I was trying to use, they don't work. Put in a dvd-r, it worked. Also cd+r was a no go but cd-r works.

Thanks guys.
    DIGG.

I gave up on the cd backup deal years ago. I use a USB flash drive and back it up every few weeks (or after doing something important like the tax return). They are relatively cheap now and everything I need is on one unit. I do not have a bunch of videos and I know they take more space. Everything I have is in one master folder and I copy only that. I do not save the software as I have the installation disks for that stuff. I am only interested in saving my user files.

For space intensive needs, check with your internet provider. I know mine offers (though I do not use) data storage that may be fine for pictures, music and videos and other non-sensitive files. I don't care what they say about their security but my financial data is not going to be stored in cyberspace. --eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09