Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: paralyzed bride jennifer darmon walks

paralyzed bride jennifer darmon walks

i wouldn't really call that "walking" down the aisle. i'm a quad and i could put braces on my legs and hobble 30 steps with 2 guys on each side of me to keep me from falling and then stand with a walker. i'm glad she did it the way she wanted, but people will see that and think she really can walk or had some kind of paralysis cure just b/c she "worked hard" when that is nowhere near the truth.

Wheelz, I really don't think she was trying to make people believe she was cured. I think she had a goal to be able to walk down the aisle when she got married. With "hard work" she was able to make that dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by danielgr View Post
    Wheelz, I really don't think she was trying to make people believe she was cured. I think she had a goal to be able to walk down the aisle when she got married. With "hard work" she was able to make that dream come true.
    Agreed. She lived her dream using what she had, also beautiful young woman.

She was a lovely bride! What a wonderful wedding day for her.

Quote Originally Posted by danielgr View Post
    Wheelz, I really don't think she was trying to make people believe she was cured.
    I don't think that is what Wheelz is saying. What he said is that people will think her determination has resulted in a 'cure' of sorts and I agree. The average person seeing her 'walk' down the aisle will think she has achieved more than what we are seeing. When I was first injured, I could 'walk' with full leg braces and a walker, too.

When things like this are hyped in the media, friends & family usually call me to see if I've see the story of "the woman who...blah, blah, blah"...because they don't realize it is nothing new. That's just the way it is. I think it's cool she achieved what she wanted on her wedding day. But, that's all.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

I agree with all of you "wheelz99," "danielgr," and "ancientgimp, "Grammy," and "flicka." I am glad this young woman realized a dream and she did it with grace, poise, and determination...kudos to her. But, in this game, all of us have had to deal with those people who would say, "if you only believed more, if you only worked harder, if you only wanted it more.....you could do this (whatever the this is) too." It just seems to be human nature to make these comparisons. This attitude is pervasive in society, even on this website. The trick is finding your own path and goals and being true to them, undeterred by those who do not understand the nuances and variations in injury levels and classifications.

All the best,
    GJ

Had a discussion about this on my Facebook since she's from the Essex County area.

I was sorely disappointed in the way my newspaper reported this and when I made an online comment on it, it was deleted and some had the audacity to call me bitter! I just wanted the facts .. not misleading information that it takes 'determination' to beat paralysis.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    like most of the comments, i agree it's great she did this. the problem is the way the news handles it, just like the rutgers player, they make it sound like some maricle happened and she can walk. the truth is she hobbled down the isle with braces and 2 guys holding her, which she worked very hard to accomplish this little moment of joy in her life. just like with everything else, the news only tells part of the story and leaves a false impression.
    Kudos to her, she worked hard and made a beautiful bride and got to enjoy the moment, got many pictures in gown without the wheelchair, but the fact is, the chair is her life, what she did has no practical use and was just for the moment.
    Last edited by jschism; 04-21-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Had a discussion about this on my Facebook since she's from the Essex County area.

I was sorely disappointed in the way my newspaper reported this and when I made an online comment on it, it was deleted and some had the audacity to call me bitter! I just wanted the facts .. not misleading information that it takes 'determination' to beat paralysis.
    I can believe that.
    People want happy endings. They do not want to hear the truth.
    Did any of us?