Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armrest?

If you get a zra series 2 you can have mine for free.The DME put them on my chair (even though I specifically told them not too). Took them off as soon as I got the chair and they have never been used.

Quote Originally Posted by dispatchjen View Post
    Chick u r correct I did say that and u stick by it. I can get back u if I fall and no I don't need the use if a larger stall. I have alot of upper body strength so much that I can pick my self up but when I have muscle spasms and my body tenses up I don't want to fall out of my chair. It's better to not to fall than to fall risk hurting myself and then pick myself up
    With the amount of physical strength you have and the great control and agility you describe you have over your body, I'm curious how a couple of measly little armrest would prevent you from falling?

Further, as stephen212 explained, the wheels and/or frame of a chair should easily suffice, particularly for someone with your abilities, as you've generously shared. That is, unless those spasms completely incapacitate you, leaving you wholly debilitated? If so, your spasms must be extremely violent and severe? But if that's the case, the question still remains - how would 2 little armrest prevent falling?

I use the swing away ones, I like them for when I am just hanging around in the chair ..... watching tv or such, and they come out easily, and I don't bother with them the rest of the time. They are a real pain when I break down the chair to put in the car, if I happen to have them on the chair when I leave the house. I really don't think they would be sturdy enough to protect you from falling out if you do have as much a problem w/ spasms a you say.

What level are you, it would make it easier to reply appropriately.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I only use armrests when I'm home not doing anything. I used the tubular sling away armrests. The only reason I use them is because of I just let my arms hang while I'm sitting there, they fall asleep. I just use armrests to set my arms on one of not doing anything, otherwise they get in the way when I go out.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I suspect the point that some of you here might be missing is that, while Jen may or may not actually *need* armrests in the sense that she couldn't possibly do without, she just feels safer knowing that she has them. If that sense of security is important to you, Jen, then don't let other people tell you to give it up. The most important question you need to ask yourself, in that case, is whether or not you also want to be able to use the armrests to actually rest your arms on. If the answer is no, get the tubular ones.

That being said ... I have some (limited) experience with what full-body spasms can do. They made me tip over backwards three times in as many weeks when I first started doing wheelchair basketball. I've only tipped over once in eleven months while sitting in my regular wheelchair, despite the fact that I never had anti-tippers *or* armrests on the regular, and the basketball wheelchair I use has two very heavy-duty anti-tippers. Point being: I think that if you do have a strong spasm, whatever accessories you do or do not have on your chair aren't going to make much of a practical difference.

After four weeks of holding my breath through every basketball practice, I learned that I could avoid the kind of spasms that cause me to tip over by tying my feet a certain way. As far as I can tell, the problems I had were due to the fact that the chairs we use at the club aren't made to measure, so I was always just a tad too uncomfortable in one of those.

Therefore, in the interest of maximum safety, my first suggestion to you would be to make absolutely sure you get a chair that seats you comfortably. The best way to do that, of course, is to demo a similarly-measured chair for a while before you order your own, although I realize that might not always be possible. If the chair itself doesn't make much of a difference for you, then I would suggest adjusting your COG to make the chair less tippy. It might not make you *feel* more secure in the same way that having a pair of armrests to grab onto does, but I think it will, in fact, allow you to *be* more secure when a spasm hits.

armrest

I dont tip over when im having a spasm my problem is im worried about sliding out. My arms dont spasm its mostly my back and sometimes involves my legs and i do feel more secure with arm rest and i want somewhere to rest them when im not busy.

Then perhaps you should get a pair of desk-style armrests and a positioning belt