Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TiLite & Cooper S Provide Paraplegic Freedom Again!

TiLite & Cooper S Provide Paraplegic Freedom Again!

Hey All!

I just wanted to share a quick note about how a TiLite ZRA and a 2007 Cooper S provided freedom and independence once again! (not an advertisement, I have no affiliation with either company)

About 2 years ago I was in a motorcycle accident where I was left a paraplegic. It's been a long, challenging road since the date of my injury and I always looked forward to the day I would regain independence! One thing is for sure, I wouldn't be there if it hadn’t been for my TiLite ZRA. With extensive shoulder and arm damage, my Ti, with its extreme light-weight, allowed independent mobilization, once the doctor released me to a chair. Since then, the durability and solid-construction of my ZRA has allowed me to get closer and closer to complete independence. As I rebuilt muscle strength in my arms and upper-body, my poor ZRA took a beating, as I dropped, tipped-over and dragged my chair around. Like a Timex, it's took a lickn' but kept on spinnin'!

During the recovery phase, I was unable to drive for almost two years. I have always loved motor vehicles of all kinds, and greatly missed being behind the wheel. When the time came, we shopped long and hard for a vehicle that would be easy for me to get in and out of, and something we could adapt with hand-controls. We eventually chose a Mini!

I have the 6 speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters. This combo allows me complete control of the Cooper… I hardly miss having a manual transmission. I have to say, the Mini Cooper is one of the ABSOLUTE best vehicles for a person in a wheelchair!

If you want to see a short video of me using my TiLite to get into the Mini S, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fiHp...&feature=feedf

Thanks TiLite and Mini Cooper for providing me FREEDOM once again!!!
    Last edited by Dud; 04-22-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Welcome to the board, your ZRA looks identical to my old ZRA before I got my new ZR. I was wondering what is on the inside of your door of that mini? Is that just the normal reddish color interior or something else?
    Most everything I say is

right on.

so when do you get the new (free) chair?

Congratulations!

Having had a disability since I was 11, I still recall the freedom of getting a drivers license.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Well done. Like you I was also in a motorcycle accident.
    At the moment, I'm in a loaner chair. Can't wait to get my tilite.
    Why a mini?? The reason I ask is because next month I'm going for the driving evaluation and will Probably have to shop for a car soon.
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

I have a mini cooper S as well. It is easy to transfer in and out of, lots of room to pull your chair into the passenger seat and tons of fun to drive. I put the monarch hand controls in mine.

my ZRa is a piece of dogshit compared to my Lasher BT-Mg. I used my ZRa for a funeral last week and wanted to throw it in the open grave. Felt like I was pushing a tank, plus the backrest creaks and pops. Great first chair to dial in your specs, but after that park it in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    Welcome to the board, your ZRA looks identical to my old ZRA before I got my new ZR. I was wondering what is on the inside of your door of that mini? Is that just the normal reddish color interior or something else?
    Hey Texas!

With that video I won a ZR 2... I really like it. The old ZRA was great, it's 10 pounds lighter than my ZR. I also added more camber and have a much shorter back rest. I use the ZRA @ home and in the house... But leave it behind in the garage and use the ZR around town with the MINI.

If there is one thing that catches peoples eye, it's the interior. I bought the car used, so I had to look up the color after we purchased it. It's called Redwood Lounge, and apparently it was an upgrade. I really like it... At first I was a bit iffy. It's unique to say the least!

Nice chattn' with with you Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    right on.

so when do you get the new (free) chair?
    Hey Scott

I have it now, I'll post a picture of it here.. If I can figure out how. Still figuring out posting to the forum.. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Congratulations!

Having had a disability since I was 11, I still recall the freedom of getting a drivers license.
    Hey My395,

I appreciate every time a drive... I've always loved driving... So to lose the ability for that recovery period was tough! Thanks for the reply!